Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been "finishing" this project for over a year now but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. :shakehead
I have run Extreme with this car before but the bar has been raised and I'm trying to keep up.

The plan so far is a FRPP Aluminator:

FRPP ported 4 valve heads:

FRPP cams, FRPP Whipple kit.

A new seat.

New Paint.

Got the radiator mounted:

New fuel rails:

I plan to run it on E85 and make around 650 RWHP with room to turn it up from there.
I still have a lot of work to do so I should have plenty of updates and pictures.

Greg

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am interested in seeing how the engine develops and how you plan on keeping it cool especially with the whipple. I am brainstorming ideas for a powerplant upgrade and I am not sure what route to go yet. A supercharger would be an easy way to get the horsepower, but what are you doing to cool everything down. I would imagine a roots style supercharger especially challenging to cool. Are you planning on meth injection? Also why is the radiator mounted in the trunk?

It is always cool to see a true race car being shown in this forum.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
very nice, im curious as to how or what youre using for airflow through the radiator. neat setup!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
re-read the specs guys. E85 car. I wouldn't be surprised if he had to run a cooling restriction to get it up to normal temp unless he's leaning on it hard.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
+1 on the whipple heat soak ftl

What quarter panels are those?

They are Maier Racing fenders. http://www.maierracing.com/

JW33 is right, I'm planing on the E85 being a big help in cooling the motor and the blower.

To a certain extent, the Whipple is like any other machine that generates heat. If you size the cooling system properly you can maintain a reasonable temperature. I think superchargers have gotten a bad name in road course applications because the systems that have been used were not designed to operate in those conditions.

You wouldn't expect your stock radiator to keep your race engine cool so why would you expect your stock heat exchanger to keep your supercharger cool? The same could be said about the water pump. A lot of people replace their water pump when they go racing. How can you expect a stock intercooler pump that flows something like 10GPM to keep up under race conditions?

I'm sure it will take some testing to get everything right but I see no reason that I shouldn't be able to maintain acceptable IAT temps.

Greg

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I can't speak for E85. New territory for me but....

I have been down the road of supercharging a road race car. huge radiator, huge oil cooler, ducting to all manners of cooling devices. The bottom line: The supercharger will simply accumulate heat throughout the session. The intercooler will do the same. Unless you have a ginormous amout of fluid to accumulate the heat you will see a power drop-off after X amount of laps. All this cooling will be heavy (hoses, heat exchangers,brackets, fittings, pumps).

I did try methanol injection (similar effect as using E85). Nice power boost. Wonderful throttle response. As a result I drove the car harder. Same long term result. Heat, power drop-off.

Build cubes, not boost...

Cool project anyway.

They are Maier Racing fenders. http://www.maierracing.com/

JW33 is right, I'm planing on the E85 being a big help in cooling the motor and the blower.

To a certain extent, the Whipple is like any other machine that generates heat. If you size the cooling system properly you can maintain a reasonable temperature. I think superchargers have gotten a bad name in road course applications because the systems that have been used were not designed to operate in those conditions.

You wouldn't expect your stock radiator to keep your race engine cool so why would you expect your stock heat exchanger to keep your supercharger cool? The same could be said about the water pump. A lot of people replace their water pump when they go racing. How can you expect a stock intercooler pump that flows something like 10GPM to keep up under race conditions?

I'm sure it will take some testing to get everything right but I see no reason that I shouldn't be able to maintain acceptable IAT temps.

Greg

·
Registered
377 Posts
Good info Serpentnoir

I am still curious about E85. I have noticed that some are switching over to it, and I am a bit surprised to find out the engines run cooler using it. How much cooler are we talking? For the most part, the engine is still built the same as any other gas engine, and so there is a specific window of heat that it needs to run so that it doesn't destroy itself.

Is the radiator in the trunk because it is harder to heat up? Are there any plans to increase compression because you are using E85?

I don't know too many racecars switching over to E85, and I am sure there are many more that are interested in finding out more about it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Build cubes, not boost...
To some extent I agree with you but I work at Modular Depot not Windsor Depot. :)

I do plan on the E85 being a big help along with what should be an oversized radiator.

The bottom line: The supercharger will simply accumulate heat throughout the session. The intercooler will do the same.
The supercharger will reach an operating temperature that should be determined somewhat by the cooling capacity of the heat exchanger.

If you couldn't keep your combo cool you didn't have enough cooling capacity. I don't see that as too dificult of a problem to fix.
Increase flow and surface area of the heat exchanger until you can maintain the temp you want.

Yes it will add weight and complexity but again, why would I do it the easy way? :shakehead

This may not be the best way to make 700 RWHP for a road race car but it's the route I have chose to take and I'll have to figure it out.

Greg

·
Registered
315 Posts
Great timing on this thread as I was looking all over for some rear mounted radiator pics. Score! Great looking project.
What are your plans for running the plumbing to the rear? Fan? Other cooling ideas? Any top shots of the mount, etc etc....
Thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great timing on this thread as I was looking all over for some rear mounted radiator pics. Score! Great looking project.
What are your plans for running the plumbing to the rear? Fan? Other cooling ideas? Any top shots of the mount, etc etc....
Thanks
I plan to run rigid aluminum tubing as much as I can. I need to get the engine in then see what is going to be the best way to route it.
I'm looking at running a couple 11" fans on the area behind the bumper and running ducts from the top and bottom into the front of the radiator.
I'll try to get some more pictures for you this weekend.

Greg

·
Registered
315 Posts
I plan to run rigid aluminum tubing as much as I can. I need to get the engine in then see what is going to be the best way to route it.
I'm looking at running a couple 11" fans on the area behind the bumper and running ducts from the top and bottom into the front of the radiator.
I'll try to get some more pictures for you this weekend.

Greg
Sweet, thanks Greg. I love Mustangs that use crazy ideas like yours.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts