Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this is what i am talking about, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo-Kit-Mustang-79-95-302-V8-5-0L-Manifold-Downpipe_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ014QQitemZ330263817188QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

for those who are curious, my application was a tad bit different, i have got a 2000 explorer 5.0 in a 1984 volvo 760 sedan. i have made the setup work and i do have the motor turbocharged. it is not a "direct" bolt on per-se, but only because of the little things here and there. it is a WORKABLE kit that can be made to fit with minor mods. i could not use the driver side header because of the volvo chassis and i needed to relocate my oil filter and use an upside-down passenger side header on the driver side. i modded the crosspipe to mate to the stock upside-down header that run to the main turbo header on the passenger side. the bolt holes in the headers did not exactly line up but it is close enough that you can drill the holes out so it can be attached. the kit did not come with the bolts needed for the header and i used a $5 set of mr. gasket header bolts from advance auto parts. the wastegate flanges did not line up quite right but with a little ingenuity i got the thing bolted up. overall, you get what you pay for. as far as i am concerned the kit was exactly what i needed, something i could make work for a low price. if you don't have the patience to modify some things a little so it will fit, go for the expensive stuff. but like i said, i am happy with it, and amazingly the downpipe cleared on my volvo. this kit is really a DIY bang for the buck turbo setup. if you know cars, then you can make this work.

here is what i got so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3kesD90a-s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS-3DeuQc1I

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmmm....i'm kind of getting tired of tryin to cut spending to buy a complete kit from b&g or quicktime....i wonder if this would fit in the ole 94 gt and piece her together from this...if it didn't I can tig weld and have access to a machine for when it breaks??? Leaving me in between a rock and a "soft" place here!!! It could get me half way there anyway!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice, we have a 1986 Volvo 240 DL that is destined for 24 Hours of Lemons that I wish we could somehow fit a 302 motor into within the budget rules. Unfortunately it is just an NA 4 banger for now, only mod being a factory K cam.
add a turbo to the n/a 4 banger and use that... i have a 1989 740 turbo with a b230ft pushing 265hp and 315tq from the little 2.3 liter.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, i can get pics of it tuesday, my intercooler fit fine, i cut some sheetmetal to run the boost hoses up into the engine compartment but it could be done differently on a mustang i am sure.

if you are worried about the piping you can always get the GNX style ebay intercooler with the hose inlet and outlet on the same side. it's a bit smaller but will do just fine.

also, i just got MEGASQUIRT installed on this thing and it runs now! i installed it friday afternoon so i am glad to get that out of the way, i just need to figure out what the ford timing marks on the pulley mean so i can set the base timing.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Update? Any cracks? Have u raced it? Does it get driven hard? I'm about ready to give these a try myself. Was the metal thin like everybody says? I just thought about it...u aren't using the headers provided in the kit....DOH!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts