Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share a few pics and info. on my track car. The car is a 98 Cobra with 15,000 highway miles :rofl:

Actually the car was a Bondurant school car. I was shopping for a track car and I came across this for a very nice price. I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped to me. I was expecting a whipped out old race car, but I have been very pleased with it.

The car has had door bars added to each side.

This is bracing from the core support to the k-member:

Floor is cut with a box built in to allow the rear and torque-arm mount to travel higher. The black box between the Halon bottles is the clearenced area:

Front torque-arm mount:

My plan is to wheel to wheel race this season. I have some work to do including some cage mods, but it seems to be a solid start.

Scott

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
When I was stationed out in HI there was a guy out there who had bought one of the orange Bondurant school Mustangs and had it shipped out there. I never looked it over much, other than to see that it had the torque arm (which I had read about here or somewhere else online.)

How close is the cage to being legal in whatever class/organization you're planning to run with?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Are you a midget? Love the control arm art. Some friends wrote some choice statements on another friends oil pan and drive shaft

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bender is a JD2 model 3. I have around a grand in it with 3 die sets.

Cage just needs some bars added so that will be easy as I can fab and tig it myself.

Midget, no. I modified the seat mounting as much as possible with the materials I had laying around. I hope to make new mounts this weekend. I am trying to keep it adjustable for now as instructors still need to drive this car.

Black coupe in the background is my street car. Coilovers, MM front suspension, EVM tri-link, Fays2 wattslink ( with tailpipes), 60k miles, mostly stock engine with a vortech.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I can only regurgitate that it " adds torsional stiffness". With the way that it is attached I would be surprised if it did much. I forgot to take pics of the bars welded across the spare tire well.

Basic setup:
Eibach 800 / 350 springs
Monroe shocks
Roush torque-arm and panhard bar
Cobra r fuel cell
Dual bottle halon system

Still has the a/c stuff and sound deadening so I need to get all that out. The wheels/tires on it Are off my 94 and are 555 nitto 245/285 setup. I have no use for these tires so I decided to use them up on this car. Once my driving improves I plan to get some real tires in a square setup. I will eventually step up to more spring with appropriate shocks but I am pleased with the handling as is for my current ability.

·
Registered
763 Posts
agreed that the control arm art is amazing. and I bed that all those bars on the bottom of the rad support are just for crash stiffness. Rad supports always get beat up along the bottom there.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am now wondering if there may have been a "pan" attached to those bars? I don't see mounting holes for anything though. The art came free with the car so I guess I got a smokin deal!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That front brace is really bugging me. It is built extremely strong and then very weakly attached on the front side. On a funny note, the fellow who had this car before me removed the brake cooling ducts because he wanted less front end weight but left this monster on along with tha A/C parts...

I dropped off my extra set of rotors to be turned yesterday. Hopefully they listen and only do a very fine cut to them. I am switching to sp-10 pads and wanted a fresh surface to bed the pads to. I plan to swap pads and rotors, bleed the system, re-attach the brake cooling ducts and modify the seat mounting again to get some more room. Those changes should get me through the revolution school on Memorial Weekend.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Everyone loves the look of a tubular brace/crossmember or what have you so I can see that the previous owner thought this had some value and left it. Like you and a few others said, I doubt there is any real value to it other than to tie the core support off and give it some additional support in case of a very low impact crash or an off.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
I'm guessing it's simply there to protect against frequent off-track excursions

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for the positive comments. I am going to have a hard time with the contact that will happen racing this car. I actually waxed it, it's that nice. I still have the stripes on the hood as I did not want to remove the number yet, but I plan to finish removing all the blue stripes as I am not a fan of "racing stripes". I am not a wealthy person and I have a hard time with damaging nice stuff, but I want to race...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Recently, I've watched a few videos on youtube of pretty much brand new cars having driver issues or mechanical issues and getting totally wadded up (a mazdaspeed3, a c5 vette). If you're going to do an HPDE, you have to be aware of the fact that your car might end up totalled. If you absolutely cannot handle that (financially or emotionally), IMO, you shouldn't go out on the track. In your case, since you want to race, you definitely need to be able to accept totally losing the car.
On a side note....in a book I read by Ross Bentley on driving, one thing he said that really stuck out was this: If you can't afford good safety equipment, you can't afford to go racing. .......just something to keep in mind
Mark

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Recently, I've watched a few videos on youtube of pretty much brand new cars having driver issues or mechanical issues and getting totally wadded up (a mazdaspeed3, a c5 vette). If you're going to do an HPDE, you have to be aware of the fact that your car might end up totalled. If you absolutely cannot handle that (financially or emotionally), IMO, you shouldn't go out on the track. In your case, since you want to race, you definitely need to be able to accept totally losing the car.
On a side note....in a book I read by Ross Bentley on driving, one thing he said that really stuck out was this: If you can't afford good safety equipment, you can't afford to go racing. .......just something to keep in mind
Mark
Which is why I love Chump Car/Lemons racing and bought a Defnder.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will handle it when it happens, but it will bug me at first. I have a extra cobra complete body already as backup body parts. Thinking of going ahead and painting it and having it all ready to go.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts