Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have been researching this. When I put the on3 kit on I think I am going to keep the PCV but run a line from the PCV to a catch can with a breather. I would then cap off the port in the upper intake where the PCV previously went to. Then run a line from the passenger side valve cover to the same catch can. What do you guys think of this setup?

·
Registered
372 Posts
This is no longer a pcv but just a breather. I still use my pcv by putting a check valve inline to the manifold. You spend most of your street driving under vacuum anyhow.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you are saying just to keep the tube running to the intake and put a check valve in the tube? Isn't that just one of those turbocoupe pcv's?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am not telling you what to do, it is just what I do. The turbocoupe PCV is what a lot of people use, but I think it is inferior to a purpose built valve for this function. I use the pcv check valve from a Mercedes 271 engine, they are inexpensive from the dealer. I know a lot of guys don't bother with a PCV but just run a hose from each valve cover to a breather can, which I do as well. I prefer to also use a PCV.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And all you did with it is put it in line from the pcv to the upper intake right? I am curious though when the check valve is closed would it not put pressure on the pvc to blow out of the lower intake?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I picked up a PCV valve for a turbo Supra at the dealer. I just ran it inline as I didn't have a bushing to fit it in the VC correctly at the time.

·
Registered
372 Posts
And all you did with it is put it in line from the pcv to the upper intake right? I am curious though when the check valve is closed would it not put pressure on the pvc to blow out of the lower intake?
Yes it is a 3/8" hose nipple on both ends. It just goes inline to the pcv. When the engine builds boost the valve will close. When this occurs the gasses will simply get vented from your valve covers into a catch can. When under vacuum, it will draw fresh air from your catch can through the valve covers.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have both valve covers going to a moroso catch can with a filter. I have the pcv from the back of the manifold (95 mustang 5.0) with a hose on it venting to the ground.

so your saying I. should get a supra/Mercedes check valve and run it to the manifold from this line?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
psycho, ive got similar setup but just used a plug in the factory pcv location

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have both valve covers going to a moroso catch can with a filter. I have the pcv from the back of the manifold (95 mustang 5.0) with a hose on it venting to the ground.

so your saying I. should get a supra/Mercedes check valve and run it to the manifold from this line?
Yes, instead of venting it you can connect it to manifold vacuum with an inline check valve. It is quite simple really.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not wanting to thread jack but this is something that I was unaware of until reading this thread...I have a K&N breather on the pass valve cover (car came with it when I bought it) and still has the PCV. Am I understanding correctly that all I will have to do is install an inline check valve in the pcv line to the intake?

Thanks in advance guys!! For some reason I can't use the search function on my phone but it sounds like I need to get on the laptop and do some research.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
372 Posts
Not wanting to thread jack but this is something that I was unaware of until reading this thread...I have a K&N breather on the pass valve cover (car came with it when I bought it) and still has the PCV. Am I understanding correctly that all I will have to do is install an inline check valve in the pcv line to the intake?

Thanks in advance guys!! For some reason I can't use the search function on my phone but it sounds like I need to get on the laptop and do some research.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Yes, that is all you have to do.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Didnt work in my case..tried the check valve...kept blowing the PCV out of the intake...So now i have the pcv valve gone with a small filter in there and a Filter in my pass valve cover the problem i have is i dont have a baffle in the valve covers so i get an oil mist out of it...Im re-vamping the whole system...going to use a freeze out plug were the PCV goes and run lines from each valve cover to a Catch can...Im thinkig that should work ...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Didnt work in my case..tried the check valve...kept blowing the PCV out of the intake...So now i have the pcv valve gone with a small filter in there and a Filter in my pass valve cover the problem i have is i dont have a baffle in the valve covers so i get an oil mist out of it...Im re-vamping the whole system...going to use a freeze out plug were the PCV goes and run lines from each valve cover to a Catch can...Im thinkig that should work ...
Not sure why you would be blowing the PCV valve out. Did you vent both valve covers to a catch can? this is how it is done on production cars, except it is vented back into the inlet of the supercharger/ turbo.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Not sure why you would be blowing the PCV valve out. Did you vent both valve covers to a catch can? this is how it is done on production cars, except it is vented back into the inlet of the supercharger/ turbo.
i believe it is done like this so there is no that is unmeterd air entering the system. so it doesnt mess with the computer/tune because of a vacuum leak and adding more fuel and so forth but i could be wrong. no worries with that on the blow through setup tho. i deleted the pcv and run vc's to a catch can breather. now i gotta change out the damn nitrile valve stem seals in the new heads. anyone riunning a vacuum pump, electric of pulley driven. or old skool style evac kit ?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
i had only at that time one valve cover vented...now im going to vent both valve covers to a catch can...and delete the PCV ....all together

·
Registered
372 Posts
Not a bad idea. You know, I was also contemplating the same thing. If anyone does any research on the purpose of a PCV system, often you will read about how it helps with engine sealing, or reducing oil leaks, etc... I can only see this being true if you were able to draw a vacuum on your crankcase through a vacuum regulation device, kinda like what the evacuation pump guys use.

In reality, PCV systems IMO are purely an emissions related thing. Instead of road draft tubes spewing out the pollution to atmosphere, it is now regulated back into the engine to be burned. This offers no benefit to driveability, power output, or engine life. It is however environmentally responsible. The other factor to consider if you choose to keep your pcv system is to use an oil separator inline with the manifold vacuum line as oil vapor can promote spark knock/ detonation in some cases.

Another factor to consider for guys running a maf, is that if you vent your valve covers to a vented breather can to atmosphere, and also use a pcv, you will be introducing unmetered air into your system that will have to be corrected with a tune.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts