Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay 95 Cobra stock short block TFS Street kit with f cam. ARP studs good gaskets long tube headers 31-spline axles. Has a in-tank 340 pump with fuel pressure regulator. Thinking about going to a vorteck vs3 along with the tremic TKO 600. Any other recommendations thanks.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
While you have your exhaust out, weld a bung for a wideband in there (and of course, purchase one, lol) and figure out what to do for tuning purposes. You might also want to start looking to venting. Such as sticking with a closed/pcv setup, or going to an open with catch can. Cooling. Will your setup (i.e. do you have electric fans) clear your crank pulley? Your crankcase will be pressurized in a way it was not previously. I'd also suggest doing a new rear main while you have it tore apart.

I had to do a new fan & radiator to get the clearance I needed. It's a big snowball effect. I had to extend my MAF harness. Then I ended up relocating the TFI. Never ending.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response yes this car will definitely need a wideband. It already has the electric fans haven't seen any issues at all seems to run really cool but you never know once you start putting on a power adder. I'm thinking about bringing it and having the car professionally tuned and have them do any finessing on the setup. The other thing that I'm going to have to address is the original T5 I don't think it's going to hold up to the new Power so I was thinking about going with the Tremec TKO 600. As far as the venting goes yeah all that pressure in the crankcase I'm a call the catch can I completely had forgotten about all that so thank you for mentioning that. Let me know if you think of anything else thank you.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I meant clearance. My crank pulley would not clear my electric fan, so I had to get a diff. fan setup. Then, that fan setup, SILL was just a bit too thick, so I had to get a diff. rad as well, just to get my lower pulley to clear everything. And that was with only running a 6-rib setup.

Basically what I'm saying, is you just start at step one, and figure it out/fix the bumps in the road as you go. Plan for downtime being longer than anticipated. You just never know.

I still have a stock T5 in mine for the time being. Works fine for me. I'm not launching the car on slicks at 6k either though. My brother has the 600 in his car. Likes it very much. I think when the time comes, I'm going to buy the A5 kit from Astro and do mine myself.

You still running a stock clutch? That would be the time to address that as well.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fox 88 thanks again. I have a spec 1 stage clutch in there now not that many miles are on it. I would think that I'm not too hard I'm Transmissions if I shift too hard anyways I just end up burning the tires off so heck maybe I can get some time out of this T5. Yeah I was looking at getting the 8 rib pulley system with the v-3 with a 340 pump with 80 millimeter mass air with 60 pound injectors. I have 17 inch 3 fifteens on the rear what the extra power of the blower I wonder if I should not swap out my 373,s for 327s? What do you think mostly a street car.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Fox 88 thanks again. I have a spec 1 stage clutch in there now not that many miles are on it. I would think that I'm not too hard I'm Transmissions if I shift too hard anyways I just end up burning the tires off so heck maybe I can get some time out of this T5. Yeah I was looking at getting the 8 rib pulley system with the v-3 with a 340 pump with 80 millimeter mass air with 60 pound injectors. I have 17 inch 3 fifteens on the rear what the extra power of the blower I wonder if I should not swap out my 373,s for 327s? What do you think mostly a street car.
Sn95's are 8 rib systems on default. You shouldnt need to worry about that. 373's are bleh. I have them and wish I went longer gear sometimes. It gets out and goes hard, but traction is an issue. That being said, that also saves the T5. I dont beat on mine hard and power shift, but if you have finesse, the T5 can last for a bit. Your main issue is gonna be suspension and traction to be honest. The rest is the easy stuff

I meant clearance. My crank pulley would not clear my electric fan, so I had to get a diff. fan setup. Then, that fan setup, SILL was just a bit too thick, so I had to get a diff. rad as well, just to get my lower pulley to clear everything. And that was with only running a 6-rib setup.
He "shouldnt" need to touch cooling. SN95's have stock Electric fans. As long as his radiator is not full of rust and prior issues, then he shouldnt need to worry about cooling. I have all the original stuff in mine and car gets driven plenty and sits in traffic in those almost 100* days.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input I'm kinda thinking 327 for rear gears. My suspension is koni adjustables.8.8 tubes welded with 31spline axles. Torsen difererential with a frpp aluminum differential cover of bearing studs. The car seems to run real cool.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Experiment. That's all. People will prob. say this is silly. But.

I have a T5 with 4.10's out back. My car just goes. But, I do have Strange adjustable all around with MM lower control arms, 175lb. front springs, and 255/60/15 drag radials out back (which effectively makes my 4.10 more like a 3.90)

I love it.

Drive it. See how it responds. Play with suspension and tires and such, before dropping the money on a gear swap. I always try to make what I have work first, before switching.

I have a set of 3.55's here I was sure I was going to need on mine. Until I drove it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good advice, and I probley will switch to drag radials on back.I have beat Alot of cars on the street because they can hook.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts