Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

He says he took it for a test drive with the new computer and stuff he put on it.. etc.. to get readings if its running rich or not...
anyway...He said as he accelerated he went to brake... his boots hit on gas and brake at the same time and smashed into a pole.. He wasn't hurt..
But this looks like more than just a test drive...

What speed do you all assume he must have been doing for this much damage..
I know that the car is not a Volvo and not solid on impact..

Anyhow.. he offered to replace all engine parts and suspensions on a another fox body...
Everything is in tacked..
Car had many many goodies on it.. SQ trim blower to begin with..
Was making 415 bhp

And I was picking it up today...

Lets forget about insurance cause he has none and mine would only cover book value..

My options were..
10,000.00$ that he would pay me..

Or build me another Fox body with all my goodies...
He's ok with either option..
The problem is finding a good GT body that's clean and well maintained.. after all this is a 1992...

·
Seasoned User
3,009 Posts
Sorry can't comment on the mph but man that's one hard hit. I would just call it a total and have him pay for it.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
unless it had a dart block or extremely low mileage, you wouldn't get 10k for that car reselling it so I'd just take the money and start looking for a different car.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
unless it had a dart block or extremely low mileage, you wouldn't get 10k for that car reselling it so I'd just take the money and start looking for a different car.
Really?
With these mods?

Power Adder:

Vortech SQ-Trim supercharger, 10 psi
UPR Powerpipe

Engine and related components:

DSS 306 Pro Bullet short block
DSS billet aluminum main support system and windage tray
Moroso 7 quart oil pan
Standard volume oil pump with heavy duty oil pump shaft
SFI balancer
Fidanza billet steel SFI flywheel
Fully ported Edelbrock Performer cylinder heads, 2.02/1.6
Cometic head gaskets
ARP head studs
Ford Racing 1.72 roller rockers
TFS 6.25” chromemoly pushrods
TFS Stage 1 Cam, .499/.510, 221/225
Ford Racing double roller timing chain set
Fully Extrude-Honed Cobra intake manifold
Accufab 75mm throttle body
Pro-M 80mm mass air meter
Ford Racing 42lb fuel injectors
255 lph in-tank fuel pump
Vortech T-rex in-line fuel pump
Kirban adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Ford Racing 9mm spark plug wires
MSD 6BTM ignition control with boost retard
MSD Blaster ignition coil
Aluminum radiator
170 Amp 3rd generation alternator upgrade

Drivetrain:

Energy Suspension polyurethane engine and transmission mounts
Tremec TKO 600 transmission, .64 OD
Pro 5.0 shifter
McLeod Dual Performance clutch disc
King Cobra pressure plate
HPM heavy duty Tremec crossmember
Accufab clutch cable and quadrant
Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft
Ford Racing 3.73 gears
Eaton posi differential
Superior 31 spline axles
TA rear end cover

Exhaust:

BBK ceramic coated 1 5/8 inch long tube headers
BBK catalytic x-pipe
2 ½ inch Flowmaster 50 series quiet

Suspension:

Eibach C rate springs
Tokico adjustable front shocks
Tokico adjustable rear shocks
Maximum Motorsports caster / camber plates
Harrison Motorsports subframe connectors
Battery relocated to rear
Maximum Motorsports upper and lower rear control arms
OEM Pony wheels

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Really?
With these mods?

Power Adder:

Vortech SQ-Trim supercharger, 10 psi
UPR Powerpipe

Engine and related components:

DSS 306 Pro Bullet short block
DSS billet aluminum main support system and windage tray
Moroso 7 quart oil pan
Standard volume oil pump with heavy duty oil pump shaft
SFI balancer
Fidanza billet steel SFI flywheel
Fully ported Edelbrock Performer cylinder heads, 2.02/1.6
Cometic head gaskets
ARP head studs
Ford Racing 1.72 roller rockers
TFS 6.25” chromemoly pushrods
TFS Stage 1 Cam, .499/.510, 221/225
Ford Racing double roller timing chain set
Fully Extrude-Honed Cobra intake manifold
Accufab 75mm throttle body
Pro-M 80mm mass air meter
Ford Racing 42lb fuel injectors
255 lph in-tank fuel pump
Vortech T-rex in-line fuel pump
Kirban adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Ford Racing 9mm spark plug wires
MSD 6BTM ignition control with boost retard
MSD Blaster ignition coil
Aluminum radiator
170 Amp 3rd generation alternator upgrade

Drivetrain:

Energy Suspension polyurethane engine and transmission mounts
Tremec TKO 600 transmission, .64 OD
Pro 5.0 shifter
McLeod Dual Performance clutch disc
King Cobra pressure plate
HPM heavy duty Tremec crossmember
Accufab clutch cable and quadrant
Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft
Ford Racing 3.73 gears
Eaton posi differential
Superior 31 spline axles
TA rear end cover

Exhaust:

BBK ceramic coated 1 5/8 inch long tube headers
BBK catalytic x-pipe
2 ½ inch Flowmaster 50 series quiet

Suspension:

Eibach C rate springs
Tokico adjustable front shocks
Tokico adjustable rear shocks
Maximum Motorsports caster / camber plates
Harrison Motorsports subframe connectors
Battery relocated to rear
Maximum Motorsports upper and lower rear control arms
OEM Pony wheels

Lol yup. Like I said, unless the chassis had legitimately very low mileage, you wouldn't likely get 10k for it. Anything with a stock block just doesn't fetch much in the current market. there are cars as clean/powerful as yours that have sold for less so buyers usually aren't going to spend that much, unless they have plenty of money and don't spend time bargain hunting, which isn't a typical characteristic of the fox body owners. :)

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
Can you take the $10K and the car? I think that would cover it for me.

Then I'd be on the search for a VERY clean roller. Oh and when it's complete, search for collector car insurance if the car isn't a daily driver. I pay $315/year with Haggerty for $8.5K value.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you take the $10K and the car? I think that would cover it for me.

Then I'd be on the search for a VERY clean roller. Oh and when it's complete, search for collector car insurance if the car isn't a daily driver. I pay $315/year with Haggerty for $8.5K value.
I can take the 10K but where would I put the car??? I dont have a lot or land to keep it anywhere..and I wont keep that stuff in my garage.. its impossible..

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
Storage unit?

It's tough to say if $10K alone would cover the cars value as mods alone don't dictate what a car is worth. Would need to know miles on the chassis, and photos of pre-accident condition as well as a good understanding of how clean the car was prior to the mishap.

I'd only take #2 if he gave me say in what foxbody he purchased to swap all your goodies into. Even then, it will be a search, and then I would venture to guess he would work on this in his free time, so who knows how long he'd be wrapped up in doing so.

Really your ultimate decision. I just chimed in with what I'd do.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Storage unit?

It's tough to say if $10K alone would cover the cars value as mods alone don't dictate what a car is worth. Would need to know miles on the chassis, and photos of pre-accident condition as well as a good understanding of how clean the car was prior to the mishap.

I'd only take #2 if he gave me say in what foxbody he purchased to swap all your goodies into. Even then, it will be a search, and then I would venture to guess he would work on this in his free time, so who knows how long he'd be wrapped up in doing so.

Really your ultimate decision. I just chimed in with what I'd do.
Well I asked for what i paid for it.. and he was ok with it..
Speed of work.. this guy is a guru in mustangs but slow as snails at work.. I wouldn't see my car for a year at least...
Car was very clean...
Mileage.. well 150,000KM but Im not sure...if that with the new engine or after.. I dont remember what the guy told me when i picked it up in 2006

Before pic

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have made this comment before, but guys driving these cars with standard insurance must be out of their minds. Sure, the premiums are only $17 a month, but when something like this happens, the insurance company is going to stroke you a check that will only cover the transmission...

I would take the money and not look back. I would also try and take any bolt-on that could be removed easily.

Once the newness of the situation wears off, the mechanic will start cutting corners to save money and your car will get less and less of his attention. As the months tick by and nothing is getting accomplished, you would not be able to take any legal action, etc.

Look on the bright side, it sounds like this guy is accepting responsibility and now you can start over with a blank canvas. Based on the mods you have done, you know what you liked and what you didn't.

Best of luck with this. If you don't have a check in the next few days, I would file a police report. ;)

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
I'd second taking the money, but I'd make the effort to stuff the car in a storage unit. Part it out, make some more money on the deal as the parts have value. Then take your $15K or so and go buy a nice Fox

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I'd imagine if he's going to pay you 10k, he is buying the car from you. That's how insurance companies work when totaling a car. Then he can part it out and try to recoup a little bit of his cash. If he does give you the car and the 10k, that would be a miracle and you can then sell all the parts for another 7+ and go buy something sweet.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'd imagine if he's going to pay you 10k, he is buying the car from you. That's how insurance companies work when totaling a car. Then he can part it out and try to recoup a little bit of his cash. If he does give you the car and the 10k, that would be a miracle and you can then sell all the parts for another 7+ and go buy something sweet.
I'd tell him cash and the whole car back. Insurance companies aren't the ones who destroy the cars they pay for. This guy didn't have insurance of any type, he need to make it right out of his own wallet.

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
Take the money. TAKE THE MONEY. Do not trust him to build you a car. He has absolutely no financial incentive to finish it, ever. Take the money. Just to be clear: Take the money.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Take the money. TAKE THE MONEY. Do not trust him to build you a car. He has absolutely no financial incentive to finish it, ever. Take the money. Just to be clear: Take the money.
Its done.. 10, 000.00 Thanks for all the help guys!!! as always... !!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Exactly hes keeping the car... and im ok with that,.
He`ll rebuild it in another car... and then I ll see if its worth it and if i like it.. but at least i ll have my money..

·
Registered
916 Posts
1 - 20 of 70 Posts