Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The budget pump gas street cruiser Camshaft Innovations cammed 289 finally made it out to the track. Car is a '65 fastback with Shelby style suspension. 100% street car. At Famoso in Bakersfield CA it ran 11.753 at 118.67 mph with a 1.736 60 ft on the first pass. Fourth and final pass it ran 11.382 at 120.35 mph with a 1.636 60 ft. Only thing I did was put on the front skinnies and the rear 26x8.5 slicks. There's a lot left in it once I figure out how to drive it and start dialing in the engine and clutch. Now if I just would have been smart and built a 347!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heads are OOTB Canfield 195's bought through CI to match Jay's cam. Intakes have been a Vic Jr and Parker Funnel Web (PFW was on when it went to the track). Jay wants me to put the Vic Jr back on as he says it'll be faster. The carburetor is a 950 Holley HP based Pro Systems deal. 3" exhaust with no H or X pipe and Magnaflow mufflers to turn downs. Compression is just about 10:1 by my calculations. Runs on 91 octane and spends most of it's time driving on the street where it has very good manners and surprisingly great lowend power.

Keep in mind there was zero track tuning done and this was my first time out with the new combo. Just put on the slicks and front skinnies. Only got in four passes and the last one was the best. Still granny shifting it and trying to find where it'll want to be shifted. The slicks spun pretty bad coming off the line so there is some work that needs to be done there as well. I've got a long way to go before I figure out the tune and driving (I'm pretty rusty).

Tried to post some pictures but I guess I haven't been here long enough to link to photobucket?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, Please post times and Comparison with the Vic Jr.. i know Jay is Good and knows his chit, but I dont know about the Vic Jr out doing the PFW? Please inform us!
I will. Also Jay is not the only pretty smart dude that's told me this. We'll see as I initially thought the PFW would be the best all around.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not really. I trust the guys enough to just try it. The PFW has longer ports with significantly more taper. Our thought was that it would keep the rpm in check and bring in peak torque sooner. Well it did that on the dyno. But, with the torque down low that it does make it now is the opinion of a few people (including one record holding 289 drag racer) that the Vic Jr will run harder at the track. From one to the other I could not feel a lick of difference on the street. But then again the street tires do nothing but spin in first, second, and when the rpm get up in third.

If you research the PFW most top notch guys do some work to them before they consider them a good manifold. They simply don't seem to like the design out of the box. They also seem to believe if you were going to put work into either of these two manifolds that the Vic Jr will come out ahead.

In the end my example may not be a good comparison as the PFW is far from dialed in and my driving leaves a lot on the table as well. Heck, I didn't even do a good job of warming up the slicks so the 60 ft is not that great. I may revisit the PFW down the road but it won't be anytime soon as I'll be trying to get the combo right with the Vic Jr before I go changing things.

Here is the break down of the fourth / last pass:

60' - 1.636
330' - 4.710
1/8 - 7.281
mph - 96.32
1000 - 9.505
1/4 - 11.382
mph - 120.35

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
i ran a PFW on my 347, i always thought that a victor would be faster on my motor, the PFW is just a huge intake , not saying that it didn't work, but i think it would have worked even better at 8000+ to where on my motor i shifted at 6500 and crsosed thew lin eta 700-7500 depending on what tire i had on it

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like a healthy 289 setup you got :drool:

Post up some pics of the car,if you get a chance,as I wanna see this beast also! :leghump:
Thanks. I think it's pretty health considering how simple it is and that I can and often do drive it all over.

I tried to post pictures from photobucket but I guess I haven't been posting long enough to be allowed to do that here???

Man that's haulin' for a 289. Any idea of your race weight? I wish I could get 120mph out of my 347. Without giving to much info, is your 0.050" duration above 240?
No, it's actually pretty mild on duration. 225 at .050" lift on the intake and a good bit more on the exhaust. The cam is a big part of what allows it to run hard at the track while still being very street able with the bigger heads, large single plane intake, and too big of carb. I basically told Jay Allen what I wanted to do with the shortblock I had and he delivered. I believe the weight to be around 3,000 lbs as it goes down the track.

i ran a PFW on my 347, i always thought that a victor would be faster on my motor, the PFW is just a huge intake , not saying that it didn't work, but i think it would have worked even better at 8000+ to where on my motor i shifted at 6500 and crsosed thew lin eta 700-7500 depending on what tire i had on it
The PFW sure looks huge. Just keep in mind it has longer runners and has a huge amount of taper in those runners. On the dyno the PFW made peak torque 300 rpm lower and peak hp was 100 rpm lower than the Vic Jr. Believe it or not I originally put the PFW on there to keep the rpm in check because of it's design and not so much the visual size.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Thanks. I think it's pretty health considering how simple it is and that I can and often do drive it all over.

I tried to post pictures from photobucket but I guess I haven't been posting long enough to be allowed to do that here???
Pictures Posted :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Email with three pictures sent. Two with the track tires and one with the Torque Thrusts that I drive it around with.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It worked! Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
178 Posts
what size/offset are your drag wheels?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts