Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 430 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know alot of people have a concrete mindset on J.R. Granatelli and/or his company. Well, after reading every thing I could on this company/person, I talked with him for a little bit about a few things.

Long story short about that, I told him my intentions and expectations of the car once it's done and he agreed to send me a complete Granatelli tubular front end kit to install in my car while I had my transmission, header, and K-member out of my car. While my car isn't used every day, it is by all means a daily driver that I drive to autocross, drive to track events and drive to the dragstrip and then take to the movies on the weekends....it's an "everything" car.

I was on no time frame, so i've had the Granatelli pieces for about a month or two and worked on the car in my free time.

I will simply post pictures of my experience, as it was a GREAT ONE! I have never ever swapped out a K-member before in any car and have had nothing to compare it to. I simply followed the directions, USED COMMON SENSE, and took my time on the little steps that need to be done to make it RIGHT. If you think you can just unbolt the stock stuff from your car, and bolt up a COMPLETELY NEW front end kit and it be perfect.....stop kidding yourself. You guys with cams would want to get it dyno'd/tuned to be "right", wouldn't you? Same with nitrous....take your precautions, do it right and enjoy the success.

This is the ENTIRE Granatelling front end kit....everything to replace your OE stuff on the weight scale.

Close up of some pieces

Stock Kmember with stock A arms...

....and add the stock springs to that weight

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Relocated brake lines(easy issue)

This shows the movement forward of the suspension and how no longer the endlink correctly lines up with the swaybar tab

Adapter to move swaybar foward one inch using OE hardware

C/C plates installed. Notice the use of LARGE FENDER WASHERS under the bolts. This was used due to my car's previous use of Steeda 3-bolt C/C plates. The reason for the fender washers(which were provided in the Granatelli K-member kit)were because I had ENLARGED the OE holes to allow more adjustment on my previous setup. This was all my fault for the washers, your car would not need these. These large washer just help distribute the weight more evenly across the larger hole I made.

Granatelli coil overs installed. Some tight tolerances, but using your head and COMMON SENSE will get you through this.

Random header clearance shots

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Random finish install pics

I want to add that this kit went together WELL! The K-member require very minimal squaring to the car/rear axle. Just using some simple string, some plum bobs(drill bits in my case, i'm a redneck) and some measuring tape.

The car aligned damn near perfect. You can see by the C/C plates that have alot of negative camber I can dial in for track days/autocross still...and thats the way I want it. I'm running 1.6* negative camber at the moment and right at 6.1 positive caster with an 1/8th inch toe out.

Now, as for durability.....well, I can't predict the future. However, this kit looked really really solidly welded. I even took it to a local fabrication shop to have it inspected before I installed it. I have no clue what a good weld or a bad weld looks like. They said it looks like something they'd have no problem putting on a car they build and do dirt track racing with late models. Thats good enough for me!

The coil over kit I thought might be a hassle. They didn't really fit snug on the shock body like i'd hope. However, I a small piece of radiator hose around the garage so I snipped it up a bit and used it as a bushing between the threaded body and the shock body. Works great, no noises no nothing no clanking.....really please with that!

The ride is great.....or just as good as I remember it from 4 months ago when I tore out all the stock location stuff. ;) I plan to daily drive this car for a week or so, then go back over ALL the bolts and check for anything abnormal.

March starts up autocross and in May I believe the YEAR ONE EXPERIENCE is coming to Road Atlanta, so i'll be putting this thing through the hoops and I'll certainly update this thread as the future becomes past tense.

So in closing, this is a great kit and killer for the cost. I want to thank J.R. for being on the other end of the phone when I needed him. The did not, or forgot to ship out C/C plates with my order and J.R.(or his shipping guy) made sure I got them 3 days later. Mistakes happen...no biggie, we're all human.

Thanks for viewing/reading!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
What do you mean by, he agreed to send you one?

btw: great job and thanks for sharing with us.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If anyone has any questions or need extra information, feel free to post or PM me. I can get in to detail if need be, but figured i'd just give the "cliff notes" version for the initial post.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you mean by, he agreed to send you one?
Well, I told him that I plan to KEEP beating the crap outta the car like I have for the past 6 years i've owned it. So if something is gonna fail....it's gonna be on my car. I told him I plan to keep putting this car on tracks with walls and that if a part fails...then bad things can happen. He said they'd stand behind their word and their work.

All I can do is "try", I guess. I'll either be the guy that saved some money on a kick ass front end kit, or i'll be the guy that gets the "I told you so's". So far....I couldn't be happier! The car drives great and theres no weird noises from anything in the front....just typical Mustang center vent vibration. :(

btw: great job and thanks for sharing with us.
No problem....I like doing things like this. My PYPES thread seem to get lots of use, too. ;)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I hope so, because that is some poor welding.

Really? I've had a couple professionals and average welders tell me they looked great. Not aircraft quality, but beyond "alright" for heavily loaded supsension pieces. Guess you can't please everybody.

Welds look pretty similar to these, though.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also have MM rear lower control arms and their torque arm 3 link on my car. In my initial "scan" of the JR parts, I didn't really find any difference between the welds on the MM stuff vs. the JR stuff.

I'm only some random dude from Tenn, I can't weld, never tried, so this is the only compar-o that "I" could make. Thats why I took the parts to the fabrication shop and let THEM look at all the welds and gussets. All I can do is go by THEIR opinion.

I've found that on the internet, people are really possessive about their welding. You have the people that weld for a living and call everything "crappy" if THEY didn't weld it. Then you have the people that will say it's crappy if it's not what they have on THEIR car.

Doesn't matter to me....if metal sticks to metal for a long time, thats all I care about. Only time will tell....I can't take a picture of how this will look in 5 years.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to clarify that I am not out to change any one persons mind about this product. I'm merely documenting by pictures and install experience.

In the end, people are going to buy what they want to buy. I'm just putting information out there for you to make YOUR OWN judgment.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It's a "2 for 2$" wristband from WalMart to keep it from getting messy/greasy on the valve cover.

I'd also like to add that I drove the car to work this morning and I must say, i'm impressed with the comfort level it now has. The off/on ramps here are pure death and I got no coil over rattle or any harshness at all. It felt planted and solid.

It certainly rides better than my little daily driver Ranger. ;) (corners better, too!)

Car had been down so long people were asking me if I got a new car. :(

·
Registered
916 Posts
Looks like Corbeau wording and logo, my guess would be CR1 or TRS.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The seats are Corbeau CR1's.

As for the rack bushings, the K-member kit provides you with some offset aluminum rack bushings.

The bump steer kit is from Steeda(not in the kit obviously)

1 - 20 of 430 Posts