Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered in several threads and I have given some brief description of how I do it. I finally got around to taking some pics and making a page to describe my tools and methods in better detail so if your interested in reading it click HERE.

I'm not saying my way is any better or worse than anyone elses but some of you may find it helpful or interesting.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Minor nitpick: it's "toe"--unless you're hauling something. :)

My trouble is finding a level surface. :(

Edit: Where does one get an angle finder like that?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
huesmann said:
Edit: Where does one get an angle finder like that?
I bought mine at Home Depot. The only beef I have with it is the pointer tip extends beyond the degree graduations and the graduations are very close together so it's not the easiest to read.

Thanks for the spell check. LOL

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Nice write-up. I prefer a different way of measuring toe but yours stows more easily ;)

One thing I would clarify, you say you should set your toe after you measure/adjust bump steer. While you obviously can't give it its final toe setting until those adjustments are complete, IMHO it's a good idea to at least get the toe close before beginning the bump steer measure/adjust procedure.

·
Registered
506 Posts
sandy, you're amazing!
two things:
1. hope everyone admires the trailer in the background that you fabricated!
2. in the last photo, maybe i'm confused by the perspective, but what is that red thing on the end of a hose near the strut?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
That looks like the end of a brake duct.

One other thing: I think you'll notice that you've estimated the pivot point of the ball joint significantly lower than it actually is. When Iv'e studied it I've placed it a good bit upward and if I'm right about that, it makes that line substantially out-of-parallel with the line the main part of the A-arm makes...which is why I refrain from using that part of the A-arm as a reference point for the tie rod angle.

I saw an exploded view a long time ago and that's why it's stuck in my head, I could be wrong and I can't produce the proof anymore, but it's something to think about anyway.

·
Registered
456 Posts
MFE said:
That looks like the end of a brake duct.

One other thing: I think you'll notice that you've estimated the pivot point of the ball joint significantly lower than it actually is. When Iv'e studied it I've placed it a good bit upward and if I'm right about that, it makes that line substantially out-of-parallel with the line the main part of the A-arm makes...which is why I refrain from using that part of the A-arm as a reference point for the tie rod angle.

I saw an exploded view a long time ago and that's why it's stuck in my head, I could be wrong and I can't produce the proof anymore, but it's something to think about anyway.
If a guy was running MM front A-arms, this method for adjusting bumpsteer would be more accurate vis-a-vis the protractor resting on the A-arm would it not??

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MFE said:

I don't think so. The image on the page is a little dark after I compressed it so here it is lightened up. The ball joint pivot is at the middle of the ball, not at the point where the tapered stud meets the ball. I might have the line drawn a hair low and if you look closer you will see raising it will bring it closer to being inline with the angle of the bottom of the a-arm.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for the write up how to. Gotta love when people share tips, esp front end setup.
Neet trick on bump steer, I to have the MM front arms and that should work well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts