Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see all these gt40p combos with explorer intakes makeing 270-300 rwhp but i never see any with the perfomer rpm or typhoon intake like i have ! what should my combo be making ? intake seems to work great. it pulls from 3000-6250 and there is torque anywhere you stab it !

·
Registered
634 Posts
I would like to see gt40p heads and a explorer intake make 300rwhp:bs:

NMRA factory stock combos could do it easily...............granted they are'nt run of the mill motors but your statement just implied p's/ couldnt make 300rwhp and i will disagree.................most people just dont sink $$ into basic combos but it can be done with the right supporting parts.............

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
I see all these gt40p combos with explorer intakes makeing 270-300 rwhp but i never see any with the perfomer rpm or typhoon intake like i have ! what should my combo be making ? intake seems to work great. it pulls from 3000-6250 and there is torque anywhere you stab it !
My car slowed down when I went from the Explorer to the Pro Products intake.

The supporting parts are very important with the factory parts. You have to have your timing and fuel dialed, and you also need a good air inlet and exhaust.

FS combos are doing well over 300 rwhp, but their shortblocks are bare minimum $3000.00, and you can spend several times that much, and their heads are far from stock.

Steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
If your building a nmra fs car then you will see 300rwhp.Why would the average person put that kind of money in a motor w/gt40p heads?

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
If your building a nmra fs car then you will see 300rwhp.Why would the average person put that kind of money in a motor w/gt40p heads?
Nohrspwr's motor (in the thread that was linked to) came straight out of the junkyard. Low miles, granted, and we did put good valve springs on it, but the heads haven't been off the block since he's had it.

He's probably got less than $1000 total in the longblock.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i know that my engine will make over 300 to the wheels tuned it has to. for the weight of my car to run what it did i had to be making right around 268 rwhp. and now that i have a fresh shortblock and new exhaust it feels like i gain 100 hp it pulls to the rev limiter now and before it was dead at 5000 rpm . i just wanted to see if anybody else was using the rpm performer/typhoon style intakes with results over the gt40 style ! i don't think that going to a gt40 style intake would help me.....just my opinion ! yeah i have been following a couple of guys combos on here and nohrspwrs car is one of them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nohrspwr's motor (in the thread that was linked to) came straight out of the junkyard. Low miles, granted, and we did put good valve springs on it, but the heads haven't been off the block since he's had it.

He's probably got less than $1000 total in the longblock.
Im by no means trying to call b/s on this guy but 300rw is alot of power. My buddy had a junkyard explorer motor and made like 250x rwhp my car has a 00 explorer motor with tfs stage1 and the tfs valvesprings and only made like 261 rw. I still need to try and get my timing set perfect and possibly the fueling hopefully ill be checking it out this week on the dyno. I just dont see how 300rw is possibly with unported everything and a h/o cam. The tfs kits barely make 300rw in some cases.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I appreciate the mentioning of my name/car/combo...
Believe me... It's nothing special... I remember at the time when I first started going down this avenue that I would be happy to run 12.40's....

On the other hand, whatever part was put on the car, I probably spent hours of researching on here and asking 5 different people what they thought would work best, THEN,,,, made the best decision I seen fit...

The exhaust is probably over-kill... as well as the induction....
90mm Lightning meter, 4" afm pipe, 75mm TB, 1 3/4 bbk longtubes w/ 3" collectors, 3" x 2.5" Dr. Gas x-pipe....

My junkyard "bullet" put down 292/332 with stock valve springs and stock rockers.... 301/338 with good valve springs and 1.72's..... This poor engine has made almost 30 pulls on the dyno... Soon, I will have a wideband kit and I'm gonna start dataloggin' to see what's going on with the A/F while I'm buzzin' down the track...

I hope to pick up a little more... If anybody wants the details... just email me: [email protected]

Thanks!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Why would the average person put that kind of money in a motor w/gt40p heads?

Some people like to go the "sorta sleeper" route as p's/exploder are'nt techincaly "stock" but to the average non-ford car guy it looks like a "factory" intake and iron heads..............also some guys just like to "do it" with factory style parts and try to beat up on $$$ combos at the track/street.............

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
whats that mean ?

I appreciate the mentioning of my name/car/combo...
Believe me... It's nothing special... I remember at the time when I first started going down this avenue that I would be happy to run 12.40's....

On the other hand, whatever part was put on the car, I probably spent hours of researching on here and asking 5 different people what they thought would work best, THEN,,,, made the best decision I seen fit...

The exhaust is probably over-kill... as well as the induction....
90mm Lightning meter, 4" afm pipe, 75mm TB, 1 3/4 bbk longtubes w/ 3" collectors, 3" x 2.5" Dr. Gas x-pipe....

My junkyard "bullet" put down 292/332 with stock valve springs and stock rockers.... 301/338 with good valve springs and 1.72's..... This poor engine has made almost 30 pulls on the dyno... Soon, I will have a wideband kit and I'm gonna start dataloggin' to see what's going on with the A/F while I'm buzzin' down the track...

I hope to pick up a little more... If anybody wants the details... just email me: [email protected]

Thanks!
glad you finally hit 11's i know that its all in the tune. been following your progress keep it up it has more in it !

Some people like to go the "sorta sleeper" route as p's/exploder are'nt techincaly "stock" but to the average non-ford car guy it looks like a "factory" intake and iron heads..............also some guys just like to "do it" with factory style parts and try to beat up on $$$ combos at the track/street.............
exactly........ even ford guys around here don't know how to tell the difference. i rode a friend in my car that has had a few mustangs and he said he has never seen a steel head pull like that and i drove a friends car with twisted wedge heads,track heat intake,24 lb injectors,190pump,underdrives,373 exc....and my little gt40p combo would eat it up. i have about $200-250 in my heads with stock rockers and he has what $1200 in his with roller rockers !

people still haven't said anything about the rpm/typhoon intakes being good or bad with my combo !

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am thinking about switching over to that intake.
well i have alittle more gear than most people so i think it helps me and i think it makes alittle more hp in the upper rpm range !

·
Registered
522 Posts
boostjunkie: Years ago, before I went through the mess of my stroker engine kissing asphalt, I had gt-40 heads, steeda cam combo w/ a Cobra intake and swapped to the Typhoon and I swear it slowed down... I never took it to the track but the low end never felt the same... Now, I did datalog with the Speedbrain and it told me the car was down on hp from the Cobra... It's been 3 years ago or better but I remember 7-8 hp.....

The edelbrock rpm intakes are better quality I think... I say try the typhoon or rpm after you get some track results with the expl. intake, make sure you record the weather conditions... Then, swap to the rpm/typhoon and see what you think and make some passes....

Maybe you'll prove me wrong... :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
boostjunkie: Years ago, before I went through the mess of my stroker engine kissing asphalt, I had gt-40 heads, steeda cam combo w/ a Cobra intake and swapped to the Typhoon and I swear it slowed down... I never took it to the track but the low end never felt the same... Now, I did datalog with the Speedbrain and it told me the car was down on hp from the Cobra... It's been 3 years ago or better but I remember 7-8 hp.....

The edelbrock rpm intakes are better quality I think... I say try the typhoon or rpm after you get some track results with the expl. intake, make sure you record the weather conditions... Then, swap to the rpm/typhoon and see what you think and make some passes....

Maybe you'll prove me wrong...
Well i already have the typhoon intake but i was just wondering if it was better than the cobra/exlorer/gt40 intake. maybe the cam or tune was off not letting the engine use the intakes better flow i know bigger isn't always better. well i do know that my car pulls all the way to 6250 ! i had a explorer intake and sold it becuase i had this intake already. maybe i can run across one of them and try it out after i get some runs in with the typhoon.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
well i have alittle more gear than most people so i think it helps me and i think it makes alittle more hp in the upper rpm range !
I will be upgrading to 4.30 . So I will see what happens in the winter

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would like to see gt40p heads and a explorer intake make 300rwhp:bs:

Edit not nmra factory stock

Hmmm...mine made mid 290's rwhp & mid 330's tq (it was about 3 years ago so i can't remember the exact #'s). I know it's not 300 but close enough! The heads are not ported but are milled and with a stock cam.

I personally know a 1/2 dozen guys with GT40 & GT40 P combos that all make around 300rwhp. A couple of them are over that mark as well. And just from this site I have seen dozens more. Some people like to try to make power and go fast with Ford factory parts. Any body can by aftermarket cams, heads, intakes, superchargers bolt them on and make good power. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I personally enjoy running a low 12 and having someone come up to me saying that there is no way i'm running low 12's without nitrous with iron heads and a cobra intake.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts