Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly what the title says... the hatch lock pops, and thankfully the hatch stays down, but bounces around, sucks air the wrong way, etc... all the way down the track. I doubt I'm losing ET, but this needs fixin.

I've tried adjusting the latch catch (maybe wrong term), but to no avail.

Any Suggestions?

David

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have subframe connectors and/or cage? Sounds like excessive chassis flex to me.
yes, full-length subs and a 12-pt cage, all tied in. the car is pretty stiff... that is a good guess though.

i think it may be a weak link in the locking mechanism or it's not catching right.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Too much power...lol

But I used to have this happen to me. Mine was because the plastic sleeve piece on the hatch striker (pictured below) had started to crack. I did a cheepo fix and just wrapped some electrical tape around it (its what I had available and it was black) and it worked better then it ever had since I owned the car.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too much power...lol

But I used to have this happen to me. Mine was because the plastic sleeve piece on the hatch striker (pictured below) had started to crack. I did a cheepo fix and just wrapped some electrical tape around it (its what I had available and it was black) and it worked better then it ever had since I owned the car.
Good advice... I will check the striker, but from what I recall, there is no plastic sleeve, only metal. There is hope!

Never too much power!!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
you can also get the plastic pieces from the help section at advance or auto zone they come in a pack of 4 and is about $3

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep, the plastic sleeve was gone. I wrapped the striker in electrical tape but it seems like the only time I get to work on my car is in the middle of the night, when slamming a hatch would surely wake someone up. I'll give it a shot today... thanks Dr. Shift... Good to know. I'll probably be heading down to either place soon anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts