Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start, this thread is by no means meant to bash Macco. I am well aware of the many bad experiences with Macco people have already pointed out, but for the budget friendly paint job there are few options at a better price point.

Hello Corral, this is my first thread on this site, but I have been reading for about a year now. I want to start of by giving you guys a background on my car’s history so some of the things I talk about in this post can be put into context. I bought my car a 1986 gt about a year and a half ago. When I purchased the car, the story was it was stored in a barn for 25 years and was recently mechanically refreshed and made road ready. At this point my cars paint was original but in very poor condition (discoloration and zero gloss). This brings me to the point of this thread which is to give my experiences good and bad with getting my car prepped and painted at my local Macco (done around 7 months ago). Obviously, there are a lot of better options to get a car painted over Macco it didn’t make sense to spend 5k on paint for a car which is worth marginally more than that in my opinion. So, I brought my car to Macco they quoted me for their second level paintjob (base clear). I brought my car in the beginning of the next week to get the work done to it. This happened a while ago so im not completely sure of the time periods mentioned but they are accurately enough to get my point across. They told me that it will be done the next Thursday or Friday, so when the next Thursday came along, I called them and asked how the car was coming along. They told me it was coming along great, so I asked if it would be done Thursay or Friday. They told me something along the lines of “Well….. its a lot of work I think we will be done on Tuesday”. The car being done on Tuesday was no problem to me because it wasn’t my daily driver (now it is my dd). Yet again when Tuesday rolled along, they had the same response “Well we are still working on it there are a lot of dents, it will be done Friday”. This cycle repeated at least 4 or 5 times until it was finally done at least 3 weeks behind schedule. Honesty it didn’t bother be that much as I stated before I was just happy to get my car back finally. Upon getting my car the paint was decent. If I was expecting a show car paint job I was out of my mind, but the paint was decent for a low budget paint job. I have minimal pictures of my car when I first got it back from Macco but it had an moderate amount of “orange peel” it had a decent bit of imperfections (bumps, dirt under the paint, etc.), and overspray on my wheels. All in all, for the price it was not bad, at this point I would recommend Macco. But recently my opinion may have changed, I have started to notice minor rust coming back on the roof and hatch around 5 months ago. But again, it’s a budget paintjob and an old car nothing out of the ordinary. Until recently (3 months) my cars hatch (worst), roof, and hood have all began bubbling from the rust underneath badly. To the point where the paint is cracking and chipping off because of it. I do have detailed pics of this, but I don’t know if I will be able to post them. Anyway, I brought my car back to Macco about two weeks ago to discuss the problems I was having with their work. Before I go any further, I want to get it out of the way that they have a 5-year limited warranty on their paint and 90 days on rust. Back to the story, When I came in, I told the lady that works at the front desk what my problems are, and she came out and looked (just a side note she is very nice and I by no means am bashing her). But she came out looked at my car said it was rust and went back inside to get the “body guy”. When he came out, I showed him all of the spots that have problems relating to rust. And he said to me “yeah that’s rust, there is no way to solve that problem, or stop it from coming back” and walked away. At that point I asked the front desk lady what they could do for me to solve this problem and she couldn’t give me an answer, I told her I will return with my father because I’m young and inexperienced when it comes to these types of things. This brings me to where I am now. I haven’t been able to go back with my father (he has a lot of experience in body work) because he has been very busy lately with work. The plans are now is to do the body work and rust repair and hopefully they will paint it for free. I know It was a long right up, but I just wanted to share my experiences with Macco to this point, I will keep this thread updated until the problem is solved. All in all at this point I wouldn’t feel comfortable recommending macco to someone for paint and body work past dents and dings. Thank you for reading this and hearing me out. If you have any questions ask away.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
If you expect anyone to ever find your review then you might want to spell the company's name properly. Nobody is going to search for your misspelled version if they're looking for feedback about the company.

And if you expect anyone to actually read the review once they've found it, then some paragraph breaks might be helpful so it's not just a giant block of text.

·
Registered
21,745 Posts
there isn't anything to be resolved, rust is rust and has to be removed $$$$$

what did you pay for the paint job?

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
My guess is under $1K.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I dunno anyplace that gives a warranty on rust without it costing huge amounts of money. You have to completely cut it out and weld in new metal. The rust repair alone would be more than what you paid for paint.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you are gonna take it there to get a paint job, then I would say it's up to you to fix all the rust and dents ahead of taking it there for a paint job under $1000. I paid an auto body shop in my area $1,800 to repaint a 1991 Z/28 convertible. No rust/No dents, just chips and road wear marks. It looked like factory when I got it back, so compare that to your situation and what you pay for is what you get. Fix the body yourself and then take it to a good body shop with a good reputation. Pay the extra money the first time.....lesson learned. Sorry for your troubles though.

Remember, if it too good to be true then it's not true!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts