Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy I have a problem I cant figure out I'm new to the wireing thing i have a 91 foxbody carburetor 393 stroker it crank over but dont fire up I have a 6al box I have a pro billet distributor a msd blaster coil i have the box wired up I have the gray wire to the dask rpm signal wire #11 tan and yellow.. the msd box 12v wire is on a 12v hot cranking wire what can be wrong????

·
Registered
372 Posts
Do you have 12v to the 6AL in crank & run? Are you using white wire trigger or magnetic (violet/green) pickup trigger?

·
Registered
24,110 Posts
Hey guy I have a problem I cant figure out I'm new to the wireing thing i have a 91 foxbody carburetor 393 stroker it crank over but dont fire up I have a 6al box I have a pro billet distributor a msd blaster coil i have the box wired up I have the gray wire to the dask rpm signal wire #11 tan and yellow.. the msd box 12v wire is on a 12v hot cranking wire what can be wrong????

have you checked for spark during crank?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have 12v to the 6AL in crank & run? Are you using white wire trigger or magnetic (violet/green) pickup trigger?
Have have the magnetic pick up and yes my msd cranks in run
I dont no how can you tell what to do or how can I test my.coil I have a ohm meter and all.it show is 000 when I have it hooked up
No what's the best way to do that

·
Registered
372 Posts
Great. Let's see if the 6AL produces spark:

1. Make sure the ignition switch is in the Off position.
2. Remove the coil wire from the distributor cap and position the terminal so it is approximately 1/2" from a good ground.
3. Disconnect the MSD Magnetic Pickup connector from the distributor.
4. Turn the ignition to the On position. DO NOT CRANK THE ENGINE. Make sure the small red wire has 12v.
5. With a small jumper wire, short the Green and Violet magnetic pickup wires together at the box then pull the jumper off. 6. Each time the short is removed a spark should jump. If spark is present, the ignition is working properly.

·
Registered
24,110 Posts
I dont no how can you tell what to do or how can I test my.coil I have a ohm meter and all.it show is 000 when I have it hooked up
No what's the best way to do that

never use ohms, remove it from any diagnosis repertoire

you go to the parts store, buy a spark tester you put on the end of one of the spark plug wires after pulling it off a spark plug, and LOOK for spark

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great. Let's see if the 6AL produces spark:

1. Make sure the ignition switch is in the Off position.
2. Remove the coil wire from the distributor cap and position the terminal so it is approximately 1/2" from a good ground.
3. Disconnect the MSD Magnetic Pickup connector from the distributor.
4. Turn the ignition to the On position. DO NOT CRANK THE ENGINE. Make sure the small red wire has 12v.
5. With a small jumper wire, short the Green and Violet magnetic pickup wires together at the box then pull the jumper off. 6. Each time the short is removed a spark should jump. If spark is present, the ignition is working properly.
View attachment 1068682
Sorry this is new for me when you say terminal is you mean the spark plugs wire from the distributor?

·
Registered
372 Posts
The metal part of the coil wire that was snapped on the distributor cap. You may have to pull the boot back some to get the 1/2" distance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok there is no spark I have the plug from the 6al box with a jumper wire in it I have the spark plugs boot out and the key in the on position nothing happened I turned the key on and off a couple of times the msd box is hooked up to the ignition 12v wire at the dash and the gray wire at the cluster #11 yellow and tan so I'm lost now

·
Registered
372 Posts
Gray wire is irrelevant. Turning the key on and off isn't going to do anything but change whether or not the 6al has key on power. With the key on, the small red wire has power, right? If so, removing the jumper at the violet/green wire should make it spark. Grounding the white wire should also make it spark.

If it doesn't spark, it's the 6al box or the coil. If you have done the above correctly, we will move on to the coil test.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gray wire is irrelevant. Turning the key on and off isn't going to do anything but change whether or not the 6al has key on power. With the key on, the small red wire has power, right? If so, removing the jumper at the violet/green wire should make it spark. Grounding the white wire should also make it spark.

If it doesn't spark, it's the 6al box or the coil. If you have done the above correctly, we will move on to the coil test.
Yes I did everything you said still no spark... I do not have the white wire hooked up to anything because it the instructions it said not to use both mag pickup and white wire at the same time

·
Registered
372 Posts
Correct. You just one or the other when wiring to run the car but we are only concerned with testing right now. You can use the white wire to test the 6al. With power to the small red wire, touching the white wire to ground should produce a spark every time you ground it.

How did you confirm that you have power at the small red wire with the key on? Measure the voltage? Test light?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Correct. You just one or the other when wiring to run the car but we are only concerned with testing right now. You can use the white wire to test the 6al. With power to the small red wire, touching the white wire to ground should produce a spark every time you ground it.

How did you confirm that you have power at the small red wire with the key on? Measure the voltage? Test light?
I used a test light and punch it in the red wire with key on

·
Registered
372 Posts
Good. Do you still have the factory coil that came on the car?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Do you have a stock coil of any kind or do you have one you can borrow?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Before I bought one, I'd go through the wiring one more time. Heavy red has power all the time? Heavy black to good ground? Small red has power with key on? Small black to coil negative? Small orange to coil positive?

If all of that is good, grounding the white wire should produce spark like described above at the coil wire. Coil wire needs to be connected to the coil. Other end metal terminal 1/2" from ground. Every time you ground the white wire, it should produce a spark.

Even then I would still try to borrow an OEM coil because your msd coil could be good. Wont know until the 6al is tested with a known good coil.

·
Registered
24,110 Posts
spark is created after you remove the ground, you need a collapsing field

you have to tap the ground wire quickly

1 - 20 of 39 Posts