Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 88 vert with a 5 speed and 8.8 rear, the car has 60,000 orig miles and 1 owner before me, the car has been babied. my question is: is it common for the 8.8 rears to leak from the pinion seal? i was under it this weekend and noticed it was seeping and the wind was blowing it back (under the diff) and covering the diff cover and dripping (slow). anyone have any thoughts? i thought i heard somewhere that the pinion nuts like to get loose over time?? am i right do i need to re-torque?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I think you'd need a new gasket too, not just a re-torque...but I'm not 100% sure so don't quote me on that. My buddy's '90 with about 60k miles has gone through two or three of them. Even at 60k miles an '88 is almost 16 years old now so I don't think a pinion seal is something to be concerned about.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
...or the vehicle has sat for long periods of time, lost oil film around the seal, finally the car is taken out for a spin, & wears down the seal at a much faster rate than a vehicle driven everyday for 200,000 miles.....

·
Registered
456 Posts
It probably is oil seeping up the splines and coming out like that. Just take the drive shaft off, pull the pinion nut off and pull the big round part out. (cant remember the technical name) clean the inside spline part out as best you can then coat it with rtv orange or black on the inside (where the splines are). stick it back on and retorque, you could have changed that $8 seal while it was out too if you want. Thats it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts