Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok now that things are finishing up with my coupe, I think its time for me document the progression form turbo Windsor to dohc mod motor to lsx awesomeness.

Ok I started with a running/driving 93 coupe with my 98 cobra motor/t-45. The interior was gutted and the paint and body work was needed. But it was fun and had hydroboost power steering and brakes. And had one BIG PROBLEM....TITLE ISSUES!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New shell...good title.

So not being able to drive my project. I asked around for a cleaner shell with a good title and paint and body work more complete...and low and behold my buddy tells me he's parting out his 87 coupe. His car is 07 ford dark shadow grey. It had a turbocharged Windsor/th400. I bought just the shell. It did come with an 8pt chage with swing out door bars, subframe connectors, welded torque boxes, manual brake conversion, manual rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why i swapped...from mod to lsx

I started the swap from the maroon car to the grey car. I got out of the Army and funding became an issue. I wanted more power out of my mod motor but the superchargers are expensive and I didn't like the limited room to route the turbo pipes. I decided to settle for some cams and just drive the thing. BIG fail. No way I could afford 4 cams, 32 springs, etc. So I said eff-it and yanked the motor/trans and sold them off along with the maroon car, upr k, built 8.8...etc
I then swapped in a 9" with a Detroit locker, 4.10's, aerospace brakes from a drag car. And started asking around for lsx swap parts and advice, finished up my sbf swapped bmw, and committed hours and hours to research on the forums.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
christmas to me lol

Next thing I know a buddy shows up with a brand new aje kmember for free and I order up some motor mounts and a trans mount and some other things.

To all wondering the pic of the motor mount is the proper way to mount the engine "IF" you want the bellhousing further foreword as apposed to further back. "IF YOU MOUNT IT THE OTHER WAY YOU MAY HAVE ISSUES WITH YOUR TRANS MOUNT!"

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aje trans crossmember

I mounted my engine as far foreword as I could to allow me access at the top bellhousing bolts. Guess what? The trans crossmember doesn't line up! It actually sits behind the rear tab of the factory mount maxed out on adjustment.
A quick call to aje and they reminded me that the bolt on bellhousing 4l60e is in fact longer to the mounting pad than the early trans. Crap the one that says powerglide/th350/4l60/etc is wrong for myapplication. But no problem as he will make me one for this trans and next thing I know it was at my door.
As you can see he did add about an inch and a half to the offset. Guess what? It is barely enough to work in its maxed out adjustment. I personally would have added at least 3.5" so that it was in the center of adjustment or better yet about 5" so that "if" I wanted to flip the motor mounts so that it sat the engine further back I could stilluse the same trans crossmember....but no.
Also if you look at both trans mounts. He didn't bend up new ones. he just tilted them so that the exhaust curve is now adding length. So this "correct 4l60e mount" now is the wrong height changing the driveline angle and has reduced exhaust clearance....i'll use it for now but I will change it out later for something custom made later.

Lastly aje makes the swap easy by providing cheap swap parts and the customer service and "custom" mount.....credit is due. But I will never use another aje product again due to fit and finish. Budget build yes. Anything over $5k in the intire car don't bother. You get what you pay for.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
some more goodies.

Ok I traded for a brand new mushimoto all aluminum radiator and fan shroud and fans and fox hoses. I can't aford a double pass radiator and couldn't find a f body one so I figured that I can relocate the inlet and outlet on an aluminum one easly. I did it on the sbf bmw so it should be fine. That or crazy rad hoses.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
throttle cable and exhaust

Decided to try the fox throttle cable. So I made a bracket that spaced the cable where it made 100% oppen and close.

Oh and at some point a buddy offered up his kooks lsx fox headers and x pipe with magnaflows for next to nothing as he was upgrading to turbo.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
some current pics....

She's waiting one me lol. Its cold out and I'm not a fan of being cold.
I still need some things like a custom driveshaft, catch can, seats, etc but its coming along. Obviously I'm not going to try and solicit parts but if you have any thing I need shoot me some info. If you want to give me a hand (central Texas) pm me.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
been workin...a little bit

I got my gto fuel rail/coil covers modded and on.
I fabbed up some delete panels out of scrap aluminum.
Fighting my gauges.....
My exhaust doesn't fit....the guy who had it made had a different trans crossmember, and also hits my driveshaft loop.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
as you can see the interest in this thread is booming! and btw aje makes a better product than most out thereon a budget or not. Have fun with your confused slow box.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
to the above above and any to follow

I'm not looking for a lot of views or replys for that matter. Just putting out what I have done so as to help others avoid some hurdles I traversed. I'm not putting aje down and gave them credit. Im just not going to use anymore of his parts. If you are a fan I will trade my aje products and cash for some teamz parts. Also my car isn't confused, it knows it is an abomination. As far as slow....idk I'm confident it will be faster than when it left the dealer in 1987. Please don't deface my thread with b-s inapplicable to the intent of the thread. Thank you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks

Thanks I appreciate the kind words. What's worse is I had swapped a mod motor In It first. I am not out to make "x" hp/tq or run "x" in the quarter right now. Just a solid car I can beat on. So that when my cammed nitrous ls1/4l60e dies I will swap in my 4l80e/ forged 6.0 and a small forced induction setup (15psi max) and be able to beat on it every day on the street. That's the same reason as the 9" with the locker. It won't put as much power to the ground as a 8.8 but it "should" be more durable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wiper cover.

Go ahead, I did 2. We always put beer cans on our motorcycle shock resivores.
Cut out the can top and bottom. Cut down the side you don't wanna see. Wrap it around the object and put on a few zipties.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hmmm

And people have on occasion survived skydiving with a chute failure, doesn't mean I'm willing to try it. Just saying. I know the lsx "isn't" the end all to end all. But "post swap," dollar for dollar its a lot its cost effectiveness goes way up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts