Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had posted this in the weight reduction/lightest mustang post, but thought people find it interesting so posting up here too.

I expect no more than 2250 plus me on the scales for the track in two weeks. Right now it weighs 2140 without me with complete engine/tranny/drivetrain and everything in it.

Update on my Notchback... Im running it in Pinks All Out in two weeks (sept 12th Famoso Raceway in SoCal, so i built the whole car in the last 5 weeks. My 90 LX is too nice to put a cage in etc (23k original miles, perfect original paint), so Ive had this notch roller around for awhile waiting for me to get to it.

I need to get some fresh pictures taken with the engine/transmission in the car and it mostly complete now, but here is a few pictures from couple weeks back.

Wolfe minitubbed, Alum 5-gallon fuel cell, cut10-pt Wolfe Chromemoly cash, Kirkey alum seat /w 5-pt harness, Wolfe thru floor subframes, Holcomb alum Seat brackets, Wolfe window net kit, Welded torque boxes /w upper/lower reinforcement plates, removed every piece of metal/bolt/bracket that wasnt needed. Lightened every bracket and piece of extra metal on the car. POR-15 coated engine bay. Every piece of wiring removed and now just a switch panel to run everything. Gutted behind dash, cut out radiator core support and built tubular one with lightweight small alum radiator/single small electric fan.

Suspension:
Strange drag brakes front and rear, 8.8" /w spool and 33-spline strange axles, 15x10 Prostars rear /w new M&H's, fronts are ultra light Alumastar 2.0's /w light Moroso DS-2 tires. Wolfe complete rear suspension (double adjustable moly uppers/lowers, anti roll bar (heavy!), rear strange alum single adjustable coil overs /w QA1 130lb springs, flaming river rack/steering shaft, front tubular k-member/a-arms, coilovers /w strange adjustable shocks, QA1 CC plates, ASP manual brake kit /w 93 cobra master cylinder, gutted doors /w crash bars cut out but still electric windows/locks in it (looking for manual doors to replace). No front/rear bumper supports, including cutting out mounting brackets etc.

Engine:
Aluminum stock block LS1 , CNC TEA LS1 Alum heads, victor jr carb intake /w sheetmetal elbow 90mm TB, Meziere Race electric water pump, ATI SuperDamper /w rear a/c pulley removed, BMR race alternator mount, no other accessories, custom fabbed solid motor mounts, Kooks LSx Foxbody 1-7/8" Longtubes /w 3.5" X-pipe dumped bullets before rearend. Moly 3" Driveshaft /w 1350 u-joint.

Th350 tranny /w Carbonfiber CSI flexplate/tranny shield, B&M race shifter, no interior carpet/console/door panels/plastics etc...3" Harwood pin-on hood. Meizere true-billet SFI flexplate, 9" converter

Custom bare bones wiring harness, Magnafuel 750 fuel pump /w pre/post filters, 10 an Feed line, 8an braided return to billet fuel rails

I still have a few more parts to add (radiator hoses, couple autometer gauges, LX taillights, small misc finish stuff.

Im positive I can shed another 100-200lbs out of this car if I put my mind to it.
My ultimate goal is 1999lbs plus me within 6 months.

Ways to lose more weigh get it to 1999lbs plus me:
1) This 8.8" is from my red LX in the garage. Its stock length. Im building a new 8.8 right now that im narrowing about 3" per side, going with star flanged/gundrilled axles. Also the rear has S-series Drag Brakes on it, i'll put slightly lighter Pro Race Strange drag brakes on it. I think I can lose at least 20lbs with all these changes here. Also I never did cut off the quad shock brackets yet (1/2 lb problably)

2) Aluminum Driveshaft (5-8 lbs lighter guessing?)

3) Lightweight race steering column /w removeable steering wheel(5lbs?)

4) Manual window/lock doors gutted instead of power (not sure how much less)

5) ill build Aluminum Solid Motor mounts (2-4 lbs hopefully)

6) Eliminate X-pipe and just run short alum extension pipes off the headers dumped

7) Planning on switching to a Monster Glide powerglide from TH350...should be a little lighter (20lbs?)

8) alumastar rear wheels (5-10lbs lighter for a pair than Prostars I hope?)

9) Sheetmetal drag oil pan is 6 lbs lighter with everything lighter than the cast alum pan

10) I might throw on a ported FAST intake to try versus the victor jr/sheetmetal elbow, its probably 10lbs lighter since its plastic and alot less there...

11) Anyone have more ideas?

More expensive options when I make it race car and dont drive it on the street on the weekends to the car get togethers.

-Build one piece front end, cut off everything forward of shock tower and build all tubular front end mount

-Fiberglass doors/hatch/fenders/lexan windows

-Start changing out every bolt/nuts possible for a lighter/shorter alum or titanium or gundrilled bolt

Pictures (before I got it all put together, ill get some complete pics up this week):

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have to start thinking of ways to get sn95 that low on weight. Great job, good luck at Pinks All Out. I will keep an eye out for you on TV.

·
Registered
564 Posts
wow, ur car is xactly what i always wanted to do. That would be such a killer grudge car. Set that up on pump gas and a strong build on that lsx and u got a killer money maker. Easy low 9's on pump gas and motor only. Awesome!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
^^ It's an LS1/LS2 series engine.

I cut off my lower radiator support and fabbed up an aluminum one. Didn't actually save much weight, like 2lbs. Not much to gain except for clearance. Got pix of yours?

The quad shock brackets IIRC are 3 or 4lbs.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What motor you got in there?
Engine:
Aluminum block LS1 , CNC TEA LS1 Alum heads, victor jr carb intake /w sheetmetal elbow 90mm TB, Meziere Race electric water pump, ATI SuperDamper /w rear a/c pulley removed, BMR race alternator mount, no other accessories, custom fabbed solid motor mounts, Kooks LSx Foxbody 1-7/8" Longtubes /w 3.5" X-pipe dumped bullets before rearend. Moly 3" Driveshaft /w 1350 u-joint.

Motor is good for about 550hp by itself...

Ive got a brand new Procharger F2 Cog drive LSx race kit in the box here for it that is going on after the Pinks race...On low boost ill be pretty disappointed to make less than 800-1000 rwhp range.

Right now I bet it'll get over 20mpg, motor is way milder than most of our heads/cam LS1 customers cars because it was built as a blower motor....but I expect 10.0 range on the motor, deep 8's with the F2

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
LOL might as well use a LS1 its half ford engine anyhow! What Dizzy you gonna use? How come you didnt use the 6.0 block and runs 9s on motor ? Honestly though you will have serious problems being that light..I see you having issue's hooking mid-track. Good luck and nice looking mustang.(minus the LSX) lol kiddin.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I would pass on the one piece front end idea.IMO once guys go that route the cars lose they're identity as Mustangs.See you out in Bakersfield.Tim

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fiberglass 3lb dash, switch to a powerglide (I think they are lighter)
If my dash weighs more than 7lbs right now id be very surprised.

Planning on going to a glide when we swap in the 440" LSx motor /w the F2 in a few months. Gotta set some "LS1 records" first

1 - 20 of 31 Posts