Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 739 Posts

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know of another conversion such as this. Many similar but not exactly like this.
My 94 cobra has went through many changes over the past couple of years. I have finally settled on one setup. At least for now.
This is a major conversion.

04 cobra Motor
T56 trans
complete wiring harness
dash assy - reusing my black pad
brake system - reusing my calipers and spindles
pedals
steering column - reusing my steering wheel
fuel system
a/c system
coolant system

Mods will be:
Stiegemeier stage 5+ Ported eaton
Accufab plenum ported to match Stiegemeier stage 5+ port
2.76 upper / 2lb lower pulley
60 lb inj
SCT 2800 maf
longtubes
x pipe
Mac Flowpath catback
JLT CAI
4 piece idlers
egr delete
SCT Xcal II tuner
Spec stage 3+ clutch
Fidanza Flywheel
Fore top hat
GT pumps
dual FPDM's

First I started stripping the car down. Everything needed to come out.
I installed a PA Racing tubular K. Next I will be installing 03 A arms, sway bar, steering rack. I will re-use my spindles and brakes.

I then stripped the interior.

Pulled the dash and converted it. I wanted to keep most of the 94 look. Mostly because of the color. True black. Not charcoal like the 03-04's.
I swapped my dash pad and heating ducts over to the 03 metal frame and installed all of the 03 wiring.. Installed the 03 cluster.

03 pad after removed from the shell

03 dash shell with pad removed

94 dash before it is stripped

94 stripped shell and harness. Pad was relocated to new 03 dash frame

94 dash converted to 03 internals converted

I had to change the pass side air bag connector.
From Brown

to Black

The 94 has the defroster on the instrument bezel whereas the 03 has it on the stereo bezel. I am having to cut and splice the harness and run to my stock defroster switch.

·
Registered
125 Posts
:worthless

You got yourself a project there. You should take pics as you go and postem, I'm sure most of us would wanna see that one.

·
Registered
460 Posts
There is a guy on another forum who has one like this. His was red full swap interior and all.

Pretty cool!

·
Registered
10,077 Posts
Your pics aren't working. Did you find a wrecked 03 somewhere? This swap is crazy, something I would LOVE to do one day if I could find a busted up terminator somewhere.

Or did you buy it all piecemeal?

At any rate good luck and get those pics working!! Use photobucket.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Wow man, I'm not undermining the work put into this thing, but if it were me, I'd have swapped the 94 Bodypieces to the 04 Cobra and called it a day.

·
Registered
10,077 Posts
Wow man, I'm not undermining the work put into this thing, but if it were me, I'd have swapped the 94 Bodypieces to the 04 Cobra and called it a day.
But then you'd have to buy a perfectly good 03/04 Cobra to do this to which defeats the purpose. He probably got a wreck for a good price.

·
11,148 Posts
You did all that work and left the Mach460 in there??? :confused:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

·
Registered
10,077 Posts
Yeah I could see the Mach 1000 if it had one...maybe...

I replaced my Mach system long ago with good pioneer stuff and it sounds 100x better.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also replaced my complete body harness. Man the 03 body harness was a pain. I had to take the car completly apart. What a pain in the ass.
main body 03 harness

From this

To this

I have to figure out how to wire in my 94 Mach 460 rear amps, fog light switch (94 mounted in console, 03 mounted on stereo besel), and the seat belt switch.

I finished installing the EEC and the EEC harness from the pass side wheel well.

Next, I swapped my heater box assy. These three bolts need to be removed first.

I had to move some of the parts from my 94 box to my 03 box. Mostly the fan assy and some duct work that was missing. Notice the difference in a/c lines.

94 heater core lines

03 heater core lines

03 box installed. i will need to trim the hole opening.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
03 heater box installed along with eec and eec harness.

I need the bracket to mount this three connectors behind the drivers side kick panel. Notice I installed the 03 gas pedal and dead pedal.

Air bag module installed. I need to trim the holes so the remaining bolt will fit

The 03 main body harness takes a different rear mach 460 amp harness than the 94 cobra does.

Column conversion
These are the two columns
94 column

94 key tumbler

03 column

PATS

94 vs. 03 column

swapped the 94 air bag, clock spring, steering wheel, and black air bag connector to the 03 column

94 Carcass

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Updated: 12-28-07
Removed the abs module and front brake lines.
Removed remaining harness in engine bay
Test fitted the hydroboost. I need to drill one alignment hole.
Removed 94 horn and installed 03 horn

12-30-07
Trimmed the brake hole opening for the hydro boost and drilled the alignment hole. It now fits.

Installed the 03 pedal assy.

Hope to move the lower rad. mounts this week.

1-6-08
Finished bolting up the PA Racing K member and installed the 03 cobra front sway bar. I will complete the front suspension once I install the steeda X2 balljoints on the 03 A arms.

Installed the dash assy and pedal assy. Wire connectors all mated up.

Broke my *&#@ windshield trying to tight the top three dash bolts. Ratch slipped and hit the windshield and crack. Guess I get to buy another one.

Need to get my suspension completed so I can move the car for engine bay paint. Once that is complete, assy should move faster.

Got my stage 5 steggy ported eaton back today.
Stage 5 port
front drive rebuild
2.76 pulley install
accufab plenum port to my eaton
What a beaute.

Fore top Hat - just need some GT pumps now.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finished my front suspension.
Bolted up the K member
Installed Steeda X2 balljoints in the 03 cobra control arms
Install 03 struts. Retained my 94 cobra spindles,, brake caliper, abs sensors, and soft brake lines.
Also switched the 03 cobra front sway bar.
I am using the 03 cobra front rotors. Just need to get them shaved to clean up.
I also need to order a MM service 6 kit so I can put a boot over the strut rod.

1/19/2008
Ordered a Fore hat about a month ago from Lethal.
Ordered a new sending unit and dual GT pumps from Tousley Ford.
Today I decided to assy the hat.
All went very well. The only problem I had was when taking the stock filter off of the new GT pump, I broke the small tab that helps hold on the sock.
The fore supplied sock seems to fit very tight on the pump so I should be ok.

Update 1-31-08
Got my longtubes. Nice.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: 2-2-08

Finished installing the mach 460 rear deck harness and ran a 10 ga. wire from the trunk to engine bay. This will feed the GT pumps in the fore hat.
Installed the rear side panels, speaker deck cover and rear seat. Also installed the mounting bracket for the 3 plugs behind the drivers kick panel.

Next up, engine bay paint.

Stay tuned for more to come.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your pics aren't working. Did you find a wrecked 03 somewhere? This swap is crazy, something I would LOVE to do one day if I could find a busted up terminator somewhere.

Or did you buy it all piecemeal?

At any rate good luck and get those pics working!! Use photobucket.
bought one that was partial parted out. Got about 1/2 of the parts from it. Then bought the other 1/2 from another guy who had parted out a car.

Pics now working. I couldn't get them all in the original post. It will only allow me to post 20 pics at one time.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If i did that, I might as well have bought a 04. I like the looks of my 94 and wanted to have a wolf in sheeps clothing.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You did all that work and left the Mach460 in there??? :confused:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

The mach 460 worked fine. Besides I didn't have the mach 1000 system. I don't plan on listening the mach much anyhow. Just the eaton whine.

·
Registered
518 Posts
wow, dude i envy you!!!!! I love the 03 cobras. If i wasn't building my own SN95 project, and had a crap load of extra cash, and a parted out 03 cobra, id be doing this!!!! I cant wait to see more progress pictures, and a the final masterpiece!!! Keep up the good work man!

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow, dude i envy you!!!!! I love the 03 cobras. If i wasn't building my own SN95 project, and had a crap load of extra cash, and a parted out 03 cobra, id be doing this!!!! I cant wait to see more progress pictures, and a the final masterpiece!!! Keep up the good work man!
what your project consist of?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great post! Very interesting. I wish, wish, I wish.

·
Registered
518 Posts
heres a link to my project...

it hasnt been updated in forever... but i just stripped the whole car, and im building it up the way "I" like it for street use, but mostly a pretty badass weekend warrior!!!
Nothing as intense as yours... i know once this mine is done, im gonna want to start another project. thanks for the inspiration on my next one!!

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=911843

1 - 20 of 739 Posts