Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1989 Coupe LS2/4L60 build - Project Blue Hair (LS2 build done!)

Hello everybody! I figured I would share my build on here for fun as well as for those who may have questions about this type of swap. My main goal with this build was simplicity. It is a street car that is a light, no options, plain looking, deceiving beast. I started with a 1989 4 cylinder 5 speed coupe that was owned by a grandma. I bought it as a roller and went from there.

Rundown:
- LS2 with 243 heads, JE Pistons, LS6 intake, Tick custom grind cam, 42LB injectors
- 4L60E with a full manual transgo HD3 kit, beast shell, band, Hughes frictions, corvette servo, and a Vigilante 3600 rpm converter.
- Headman mid-length headers with full 3" X-pipe and magnaflow bullet style mufflers
- 8.8 with 3.90 gears
- Tubular front end, 14" x 130 lb coil-overs, front 90-10s, rear strange shocks, 4 wheel disc brakes.
- Painless chassis harness, standalone engine harness made from an LS1 unit
- Manual brakes, trans, steering, windows, and even mirrors!

When first bought: sat for 4 years

On the way home

Teardown

You get the idea for tearing one apart. Now for the build up!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The engine bay evolution

Panels to cover HVAC holes

Front suspension

The engine - 01 5.3 (you may recodnize the Fairmont as the Vanilla Gorilla from Street Outlaws!)

After final mock-up. I used a CTSV pan with my PA racing K-member

Underneath

Transmission

Exhaust

]

The cooling system. I used a Team Z lower core support and a Donathan Racing bumper support. The radiator is from Summit and is a dual pass. The fan is from a Taurus and is controlled by a Volvo relay.

Next up, electrical

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After stripping the original wiring I began to install the Painless kit. I mounted the fuse box near the passenger floor board.

I mounted the starter solenoid in the trunk next to the battery

For the engine wiring i made a PCM mount and put it under the dash behind the glovebox. Easy access to everything.

I used the factory gauge cluster and mounted all new gauges in a piece of carbon fiber I cut up. Turned out really slick!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Final updates

On the interior I bought some black carpet but have already removed all sound deadener and foam behind paneling. The B&M shifter is mounted in a Holcomb plate wraped in a stock 5 speed shift boot for a subtle look. I also removed the center console and e-brake hardware.

The final engine bay shot as it is today. Simple and clean just how I wanted.

Exterior - Summit drag thrust wheels with 275/50/15 MT ET streets in the rear. This car is snappy and had broke many hearts already with more to come!

Please let me know any questions you may have. i have detailed pictures from every single aspect of this build that I can use to help.

Thank you for looking!!!

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
take it to the track yet? looks good, very similar when I did mine about 9 years ago.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't taken it yet but I am itching to bad! I am hoping for mid to low 11s. I think that seems reasonable with how the car feels. The tracks won't open back up for a couple months yet and the car will soon lose more weight and get a custom grind so who knows where it will be at. How quick did yours go?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
mine went 11:60's all stock 4 cylinder suspension and interior, with 275/60 Dr's, 3:73's, 4l60e yank 3200 conv, 98 TransAm motor with cam only Texas speed 585 lift 225 dur and BBK 351W headers with LS1 flanges and A/C. that car was so much fun and easy to drive. Little bit of Nitrous and it went 10:80's

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mine went 11:60's all stock 4 cylinder suspension and interior, with 275/60 Dr's, 3:73's, 4l60e yank 3200 conv, 98 TransAm motor with cam only Texas speed 585 lift 225 dur and BBK 351W headers with LS1 flanges and A/C. that car was so much fun and easy to drive. Little bit of Nitrous and it went 10:80's
That sounds right to me. I think low 11s should be where I am at capability wise. Any pics of your car?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
gauges in glove box, nitrous panel under ashtray door. 10 holes redrilled to 5 lug (Wilwoods) and back rims widened too 9". Sleeper status

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
has 2 stages of nitrous now

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
car still looks the same but just a few upgrades now. Driveline and suspension.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I'm glad you showed a pic of the lower rad support. Didnt know they made one. Just ordered mine today as mine was messed up. thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have definitely seen your pics of this car before! I just didn't realize it was you. I absolutely love how stock it looks! Your wheels are going to be awesome after you widen them, I saw your post on the wheel threads.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
thanks, I have them now and they fit great. Just waiting for that lower brace from team z. didnt even know they made something like that.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Stay away from Team z LS fox k-members...theres 3-4 transmissions that don't fit because the motor sits to high..

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
hey, curious why did you lay your radiator at an angle?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey, curious why did you lay your radiator at an angle?
I tried mounting it in the traditional way but the intake bend would have been extremely tight. My core support was also bent up a bit so I just decided to go ahead and tuck it into the bumper and use a tubular bumper support. I would be lying if I said it wasn't also just to try it for fun haha.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts