Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long winded post warning:
My beloved mustang (street car) spends more time in the garage every year. I have rationalizations for this, but it's not right, and I'm a firm believer that these cars deserve a good time and an active lifestyle.
I've owned my 1988 Mustang GT for 15 years +, but I'm bored with it. I throw parts at it, and that usually helps for a while. Maybe I need new wheels/tires?
You guys who've had their cars for a while, you ever get bored with it?

1988 Mustang GT
64,000 miles
351 windsor
3550 Tremec 5 sp
3:73

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I parted out and sold my "race car" last year as I replaced the battery in it more times than I put gas in it.

I miss it from time to time, but only when I got to car meets and other car related stuff. Other than that I don't think twice. If you don't drive it, let somebody else have it and move on is where I am at. Especially if you keep throwing parts at it with no long term enjoyment.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My car sits too but the price just keeps going up ! I put maybe 500 miles on it a year if I'm lucky...I just had the car reappraised by my insurance company for $11,500 if it gets totaled that what they will give me for it...

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
OP you certainly have a nice mustang, but lets think about this for a minute, is it possible that you have at this point modified it too much? has it become no longer fun to drive? i ask this because sometimes we tend to go overboard early in the ownership of these cars, and we constantly modify them. and they get to the point where they are no longer fun to drive, and as such we tend to buy a mundane daily driver, and just drive the "fun car" once in a while.

perhaps it is time to start de-modifying the mustang, until it gets back to the point where it was a fun car to drive.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Going to use my vehicles as examples. I've got a 2009 F250, 2007 Jeep Wrangler and a 1989 Mustang. I've come to the realization that this is an excellent combination. I work on one for a while, then get bored and move to another one. I'm always rotating projects between these vehicles, keeps me from getting bored from one. However it does suck as it feels like I never get one of them exactly where I would like it to be (modification/appearance/restored) wise.

Trucks lifted on 35's, Jeeps lifted on 35's and I am currently involved in a 351w swap/refresh in my Mustang.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The time and money that can be put towards something can be much more rewarding.
A really nice vacation or a nice home improvement.

I you are not enjoying it you are just taking away from some other aspect of your life and life is short in hindsight.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I've owned 7 and every time I sell one, I miss having one within a week so I buy another one. I bought my current one in 2012 and have driven it maybe 4000 miles. It was bone stock and now with the V3 going on next week will be around 425rwhp. I drive it 2-3 weekends a months to shows and once ina while to have fun.

I will admit I get bored if a weekend comes around and there is nothing to tinker on with it, so I usually end up thinking of something else to improve on it. We all know there always is and you can easily drp 20 to 30 grand in one. Mine is insured with Grundy for 20 without the V3.

That being said, as I am getting older I'm getting tired of scrounging junk yards, craiglist, etc as it takes months if not years to find the parts you want at the right price. It's not like 10 years ago when these cars were all over the junkyard and prices were cheap. I'm probably never going to sell this one.

Unless someone writes me a BIG check.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I too have owned my highly modded '85, 60K miles for 15 yrs and rarely drive it. I also drive it less each year. Last year, maybe 300 miles? I keep it because I doubt that I could sell it for anywhere near what I have into it and that it's still unique for what it is, mint condition too. If money wasn't an issue, I'd sell it and buy a newer Shelby but....

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
I struggle with builder blues. But every time I think I should unload my cars, I drive a new one. And it only makes me want to keep my old fox, Box top and Bronco more. They are just right for me and I'm not a belly button fella. Something about not seeing what you have at home on every corner. But I do get frustrated when I need hard to find parts.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Same boat here.
I've had my 93 Cobra for just a hair over 18 years now and drove it, maybe, 200 miles last year. Just to and from a work a couple of times per year and a couple of car shows...Hate to know how much insurance/registration I've put into it.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Same boat here.
I've had my 93 Cobra for just a hair over 18 years now and drove it, maybe, 200 miles last year. Just to and from a work a couple of times per year and a couple of car shows...Hate to know how much insurance/registration I've put into it.
Insurance (collector car) is cheap and I now have collector plates on it so they're $200 but you never need to pay annual fees afterwords.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Curious. I didn't expect to see so many people put so few miles on their cars. Do you enjoy when you get behind the wheel? Or do you find it a pain in the ass to get it out of the garage? I don't have an older Mustang, but I have had it for almost six years. Only 36,000 miles on it. I love driving it, but my wife and I work together so we usually just take the Fusion. It's certainly more comfortable.

One thing that I've really enjoyed is using my car to combine the car hobby with some other fun activities. We drove the entirety of the Hot Rod Power Tour in 2012 and it was fantastic. Car stuff, driving, seeing new places (Detroit was awesome). We try to do that a few times a year, at least something similar. It helps to keep the enjoyment in the car and not get bored.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Same boat. I've driven my Mustang 3 times in the last 2.5 years. All 3 drives were basically just around the block. But, the thought of selling it makes me sick, therefore I never put it up for sale.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts