Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally about to start an LSX swap into my 1998 V6 mustang, and I realized that I will need additional components to keep my power steering and power brakes. Can somebody help explain to me how I can keep these two features?
Thanks!

I found that Borgesons has a power-steering kits for 95-97s which could work: Borgeson Universal Company :: Pumps, Brkts & Hoses :: Power Steering Hose Kits

·
Registered
53 Posts
Why not just use stock stuff?
I always use the GM PS and have the hoses mated to the transplant vehicle's rack. This is done with either new hoses (taken to a hose maker and say I need this end and this end and it needs to be this long) or I have used NAPA and their compression fittings and cut the 2 hoses and mated them with the compression fitting.
As for brakes, run the vac line from the Mustang booster over to the vac port on the LS motor, if the 2 hoses are different sizes you can get a 'coupler' and make it work.

·
Registered
336 Posts
power steering is as simple as using the GM Fbody bracket and power steering pump, and just tying the hoses into the stock rack.

I dont know why you couldnt just use the stock power brakes...it usually just needs a vacuum line which you can get straight off of the intake

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm doing a 5.3 LSX swap and had read that the GM PS pumps are a higher pressure than Ford's. I found an adapter that reduced the pumps output pressure to match the Ford rack but haven't ordered it since I'm not quite there. Without it the steering will supposedly feel over boosted according to my research. I hope someone that has done it will chime in.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
336 Posts
I went a slightly different route and made my high pressure ps line out of AN line and got metric adapters.
Just be careful...
Braided lines are not pressure rated for power steering.

You can easily just buy the -an adapters for the pump and the rack... and then your local oriley's can make you a hydraulic hose for the high pressure side with -an fittings(usually they will know it as a JIC fitting)

The only thing you need to know is length, and direction if fittings as the do not swivel and the line only bends and does not twist at all..

·
Registered
336 Posts
This was specifically made for ps lines.
Also... doesn't matter if its made for power steering lines or not...a standard -an fitting that you assemble by pushing the hose into one end and tightening the other half with a wrench...it not rated for that pressure...
It can pop off....

It needs to be a hydraulic crimp to guarantee it will hold up to the pressures...

Your standard -an line may work for now...but it is a ticking time bomb and will fail eventually due to pressure.
I have seen it first hand on a buddy's car....pressure pushed the hose out of the -an fitting....

·
Registered
336 Posts
It was a pre-made hose with a hydraulic crimp....
Was just making sure I said those things in case somebody else was reading and thought they could just use any old -an hose for it...wanted to make it clear that you cannot.. ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nope, I tries that once already and about had a fire. I was told a high pressure push lok would work.....it blew off. I then got a hose specifically made for high pressure power steering, lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm doing a 5.3 LSX swap and had read that the GM PS pumps are a higher pressure than Ford's. I found an adapter that reduced the pumps output pressure to match the Ford rack but haven't ordered it since I'm not quite there. Without it the steering will supposedly feel over boosted according to my research. I hope someone that has done it will chime in.

Have you found a solution I'm currently on that aspect of the car I used a 2002 Silverado 5.3 with cam heads etc ....now the brakes feel loose and hydroboost seems okay do I need to adjust line pressure to the ps pump GM to ford hydroboost off of a 99 to 04 mustang

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts