Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On their website it states this:

Acceptable practice for rim width is tread width plus or minus 1''. IMPORTANT: ALL DRAG DRIVE TIRES MUST BE MATCHED TO BE WITHIN 1/2'' ROLL OUT. CAUTION: It is not recommended that radial and non-radial tires be mixed on the same vehicle..

What is rollout and why can't you mix radial and non-radial tires?

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
On their website it states this:

Acceptable practice for rim width is tread width plus or minus 1''. IMPORTANT: ALL DRAG DRIVE TIRES MUST BE MATCHED TO BE WITHIN 1/2'' ROLL OUT. CAUTION: It is not recommended that radial and non-radial tires be mixed on the same vehicle..

What is rollout and why can't you mix radial and non-radial tires?
I THINK rollout is the distance a tire will travel with 1 full roll. a smaller tire will travel less distance then a larger tire.

radial and bias ply tires IMHO make for a weird ride. byas ply tires whobble a bit on the big end and combined with a radial a bias ply it can make things feel real hairy. SOME people have NO issues but I didnt like the way my car handled with bias-plys and radials.

·
Registered
238 Posts
To adjust rollout measure around the tires when they are new. Adjust the tire pressure until both tires have the same circumference. After you've done your first good burnout this 'sets in' your circumference.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The roll out is the distance the tire will travel in one revelotion, take a piece of string wrap it aroud the outside of the tire and check it to the other tire, less than a 1/2 " is best. If one is bigger you can stretch the other one as lond as they have not had a heat cycle on them. You just air up the shorter tire and let it sit for a while and then air it back down and remeasure. The one thing you never want to do is put a bias ply one one side and a radial on the other, because a bias plye slick type tire will grow and a radial will not.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The one thing you never want to do is put a bias ply one one side and a radial on the other, because a bias plye slick type tire will grow and a radial will not.
Just out of curiosity, what fricken idiot in this world do you know who would do something as stupid as this???? I know some stupid people, but I'm happy to say that they aren't this stupid:rolleyes:

qikazz

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what fricken idiot in this world do you know who would do something as stupid as this???? I know some stupid people, but I'm happy to say that they aren't this stupid:rolleyes:

qikazz
I am glad to say I do not know anybody that stupid. But I was just going to put it out there as more of a example. I have seen people mix them front to rear which isnt all that big of a deal at the track.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts

qikazz
On cars with one wheel peel you dont need slicks on both sides LMFAO!!!

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
On cars with one wheel peel you dont need slicks on both sides LMFAO!!!
And your point is what? That you would put one slick on a car with an open rear end? You can't be serious...

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have heard of, never done it myself, stretching bias tires, but I don't think you can stretch a radial.

Never under estimate the power of stupidity. I bet someone has put a bias slick on the spin side of their car before.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts