Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the MSD Street Fire ignition kit (distributor, coil, box) and hooked it all up, seems fine except the tach now doesn't work (factory tach). The instructions state to hook the gray wire from the box to the coil wire.

WHich wire under the hood is the coil wire? I was told the green wire in the factory coil harness but there are two wires. Does it matter which one?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I touched the ignition box tach wire to both green wires...one at a time of course. No start, no run. Where does that gray MSD tach wire go?

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
supply a diagram

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which diagram are you speaking of?

When I got the kit, I also got the adapter harness, so other than hooking up the hot and ground wire to the battery, it was plug and play, except, midway on the harness, one gray wire for the tach.

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
wiring diagram

you dont do elec without one

i looked it up

stock is coil neg

with your ign use the gray

however you must have a tach compatible with its output

you may need a specific adapter

talk to msd

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
c/p

INOPERATIVE TACHOMETERS
If your tachometer fails to operate with the CDI installed you may need a Tach Adapter from MSD Ignition. Before
getting an Adapter, try connecting your tachometer trigger wire to the Gray Wire. This output produces a 12 volt, square
wave (see page 1). If the tach still does not operate, you will need a Tach Adapter. There are two Tach Adapters:
PN 8920: If you are using the Magnetic Pickup connector (Green
and Violet wires) to trigger the CDI, you will need the
PN 8920.
PN 8910: If your tachometer was triggered from the coil negative
terminal (voltage trigger) and you are using the White
wire to trigger the cdi you will need the PN 8910.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just looked up their number and will call them in the morning.. I'll post the results. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
you have two coil neg wires

one for ign control the other for tach

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
on a side note

your stock ignition is superior to this one, why are you installing this one?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not sure which wire is the tachometer trigger wire. I was told one of the green wires from the coil plug. Either way, the tach didn't work and the car wouldn't run.

I'm no electrical guy at all. Always hated it. I am not sure which way my tach gets it's signal. While i do have a Fox Thunderbird, I would guess that is similar to the Mustangs. I'm looking for more T-Bird specific info.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
8910......I'll check it out.

As far as hooking up the kit, I was using the diagram included with the kit and the adapter harness. No guessing. I was careful about every wire. Where to hook up the gray eluded me. I appreciate your help, and your time. I'll look at the 8910 now.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was installing it because I had it. It was a brand new kit I got for literally a trade. Never opened box. If it has no real purpose on my car, I may pull it and move along. I have no issues with that at all.

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
I wouldn't install it on my car,

i would not give it to a friend, but i might sell it to a stranger far away.......

if you installed it like they said, they also assume you know how your tach is triggered and the signal it needs as they tell you the output signal of their box

you probably need the adapter, ie signal converter......again which i dont like..

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just came in the house. I removed it from the car and put it on the workbench. Story over. Done. Finished. Now all I need is an NOS Motorcraft TFI module for the MSD distributor.

Indy, I appreciate your help. Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts