41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Replied

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
For anyone reading I found my issue. It was a bad or incorrect TFI. Installed the MS2 into 2 other cars and it worked properly. Removed the TFI from one of my other projects and installed it into my 91 and now it runs with the spout installed. Going to attempt tuning this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Cool man, thanks for the update. I know you were nearing the end of your patience, hopefully you can feel some satisfaction in diagnosing.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Mine is grey but a cheap aftermarket one so who knows what the internals are

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I expect it operated outside of normal parameters and the factory ECU was able to cope while the standard megasquirt spark output circuit was not.

I've run the standard spark out to the grey (fixed dwell) and black (computer controlled dwell) modules successfully. We tried standard dwell just to see but it had no effect.

I'm sure there's a way to modify the output so it would have worked but getting a normally functioning module is still probably the better answer.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Mine is the grey equivalent that came with the MSD Pro Billet Distributor. I still have the Ford original & another Ford distributor, both need rework.

BTW, Ford no longer manufactures distributors which is why I got the MSD.
The Pro Billet is a quality piece

·
Registered
256 Posts
You guys end up figuring the issue out? I have the same ms2 3.57 extra non pnp with stimulator and Bluetooth connector I’m prolly gonna put up for sale but don’t have a clue on the value. My plans changed when I decided to go supercharged with nitrous and of course an aftermarket cam too, and these being speed density I’m gonna switch to a MAF setup.....any input anybody?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
You guys end up figuring the issue out? I have the same ms2 3.57 extra non pnp with stimulator and Bluetooth connector I’m prolly gonna put up for sale but don’t have a clue on the value. My plans changed when I decided to go supercharged with nitrous and of course an aftermarket cam too, and these being speed density I’m gonna switch to a MAF setup.....any input anybody?
EDIT: There were a couple issues in this thread, the 1st one we weren't able to complete the troubleshooting, the 2nd one was resolved.

Megasquirt can do MAF, your call if you want to replace it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Oh they can do Maf? That's great to hear then. I was under the impression they worked via speed density only. The reason I bought a speed density engine harness that I'll just convert over anyways.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Yup. I want to say Blown88GT uses the MAF strategy.

I haven't done it myself as I haven't had the opportunity to play with it yet, but it should be much easier than SD for basic fuel. As with all things MAF the most important part is an accurate transfer function. If that is accurate than your fuel table is your AFR target table.

With speed density that can be true too but you have to put in a lot of work to get the VE table dead on in every cell, then you can just command a target AFR. It's simpler to get a MAF transfer function right than to get every cell in a VE table right.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
MAF for fuel & EAE
MAP for spark & AFR

Look at Tuner Studio, Basic/Load Settings
See MAF Settings & MAF Flow Curve?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts