Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might get laughed at for asking this, but I'll do it anyway.

I am building my 86 Fox for autocross on a budget (and by that I mean no new parts unless required budget). I want to get more positive caster and improve weight distribution as cheaply as possible. I am currently repairing a bunch of front sub-frame rot and had the idea of relocating my k member 1 inch forward since I'm working in that area.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Like this? It's moved 5/8" forward per Mathis' recommendation. I think you run into interference if it's moved further. You relocate the motor mount holes, too, to keep the motor in the same place, but you can move it back 1", which is also recommended. I also moved the lower control arm mounting points up 3/4". I've seen people go up 1-1/2", too.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Not too much with a tubular K member. I moved mine up about 3 inches.

I was limited by my rack/pinion as far as moving everything forward. Or course there is a limit to how much positive caster you can have................

·
Registered
261 Posts
on that note, a cheap mod is putting in convertible motor mounts - $25/pr at rock auto - they dropped my motor almost an inch lower compared to the polyurethane Prothane setup.
Obviously way better to be lower, and there is added clearance between the headers and firewall if you're going to put the engine back. Apparently it doesn't od that much for weight distr, but if its all apart, hell y not!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yeah, that's a lot of work. Not sure the work is worth the savings of what it would cost to buy a MM K member kit. Plus the MM kit is lighter.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Yeah, they are scarce, and old. Hard to find in good shape. I asked someone who knows Mathis to reach out to him; I can help him create a Print on Demand solution relatively quickly and easily as I assume the rights have long since reverted back to him. Plus we could add in the stuff that he has said in the past that the publisher/editor cut. And then e-book it.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
on that note, a cheap mod is putting in convertible motor mounts - $25/pr at rock auto - they dropped my motor almost an inch lower compared to the polyurethane Prothane setup.
Obviously way better to be lower, and there is added clearance between the headers and firewall if you're going to put the engine back. Apparently it doesn't od that much for weight distr, but if its all apart, hell y not!!
This is exactly what im going to do when i get home, Plus remove the 1 inch spacer between my intake. Lower the center of gravity a bit, i also plan on swapping the trickflow intake out for a tubular GT40 one, i hear they are much lighter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts