Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been a blower guy all my mustang life, just bought a new car with a turbo and just have some quick questions

brief run down:
Boss Block 347
Vic Jr style Intake with 6061.com Elbow
Stage 3 ported Trick Flow Heads
ARP Head Studs
1.6 Roller Rockers
Stud Girdle
Custom Turbo Cam 565/565 Lift 244 Dur.
80lb injectors
2-255 intank pump
New MSD 6AL
Built AOD with Lentech Valve Body
3000 Stall
3.27 Gears
Eboost street boost controller
PLX wide Band

Turbo:

Turbonetics T76 with an F1-68 turbine wheel. ball bearing .96 A/R turbine housing

Right now the car starts up great, no smoke at all, if you give it gas(turbo spins up it starts smoking out the tailpipes) I believe this to be a sympton of a bad seal in the turbo. Motor seems strong, oil pressure, no ticking/knocking. I plan on taking it off and sending it off to be gone through. What would be a FOR SURE way an amatuer like myself could tell it was a seal, not cracking open the turbo could tell? Just take it off and fire up the car with it off and see if it smokes?

Also with the above specs how much power can this turbo make to the wheels realistically on a hyradlic roller, street mannered setup.

Thanks,

·
Registered
472 Posts
Damn you bought that black 93? I was looking at that car for a while, looked clean.

Does the turbo have any sort of shaft play to it?

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would I determine shaft play? I have a receipt of it being rebuilt 4 months ago at Majestic Turbo in Texas.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I sent mine to Majestic as well and what they told me was a journal bearing turbo has less play than a BB turbo. A small amount of up and down was ok, But if when pushing up on the shaft and turning it, it touches than the bearings are bad. They also said that the seals are like piston rings and not actual seals and they are more for keeping boost out of the center section, rather than keeping oil in.

They said if I had smoking issues to double check drains and make sure oil was getting out

Keep in mind this was 3 months ago so my memory may be a bit fuzzy

And there is also 2 Majestic Turbo locations, one in Dallas and one in Waco... and they are not associated just for an FYI

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sent mine to Majestic as well and what they told me was a journal bearing turbo has less play than a BB turbo. A small amount of up and down was ok, But if when pushing up on the shaft and turning it, it touches than the bearings are bad. They also said that the seals are like piston rings and not actual seals and they are more for keeping boost out of the center section, rather than keeping oil in.

They said if I had smoking issues to double check drains and make sure oil was getting out

Keep in mind this was 3 months ago so my memory may be a bit fuzzy

And there is also 2 Majestic Turbo locations, one in Dallas and one in Waco... and they are not associated just for an FYI
Great advice, The previous owner said it ran fine, then he added a light weight motoroil (added a quart) and then it started smoking. So this turbo was fine originally, then it STARTED smoking. I think I am going to give it a fresh oil change, double check the feed/return and see if it still smokes!

Thanks

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
check to see that you have a 4AN feed and ideally a 10AN return line

·
Registered
685 Posts
Check what pkstang said. No low spots or level areas in drain line. CRANKCASE PRESSURE in a turbo car will not allow oil back in pan, this is a very common problem.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great advice all thanks so much, what kinda of oil should I run on this synthetic is what I ran in my blower car.

Can I make 750rwhp with this setup? previous owner stated 650rwhp @ 14psi

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dont know if its the return line, motor seems strong idles very smooth(no fouled plugs) give it some gas turbo spools up and is sending enough oil where its dripping pure oil out the tailpipes.

Still could be the drain? or thinking seal?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I have almost exact setup as you, smaller solid roller and a gts76. Made 787rwh at 15psi on e85 though a non locking aod.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
that with the turbo on full bore? maxed out?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Nope. My friend had a similar setup also. 25psi 8.67 @ 163 mph

1 - 13 of 13 Posts