Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didnt know if anyone has done this or not. I know of alot of 5.0 guys in here so i will explain. over the weekend I had a good friend ride with me in my car, very good in tuning and was looking over some datalogs with me to discover some real high intake air temps. this was coming from only seeing what air was in just one cylinder. #5. as you know on most s/c applacations they want you to move the iat sensor after the blower for a more accurate temp reading, so i moved mine from the intake to the charger pipe right before the throttle body. made a world of difference. with it in the stock location even in 30 degree weather i was seeing 120* intake temp. thus fatting up the mixture to fight of detination. after moving it, same temp the next night only saw 60* intake temp. the car ran much better, and was able to take fuel away to lean it back out. this might help a few.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Heat soak is a mother
true that. just some of the runs at the track that i have posted in my other thread, the air intake temp was reading in the 170's during each run and i have it set to cut timing at anything above 160*. just moving the iat my a/f went from a perfect 11.5 to the mid 10's. I just took out 7% fuel up top and leaned her back out. duty cycle also went down

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
does the temp in the intake pipe matter, when what counts happens in the chamber???
it dose. Thats why the sensor is right before the throttle body, so that is what temp is entering the intake manifold. the air is passing by there to fast to heat up to 120* IMO. see i think the sensor is picking up more of the heat from the intake manifold than the actual air temp.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
it dose. Thats why the sensor is right before the throttle body, so that is what temp is entering the intake manifold. the air is passing by there to fast to heat up to 120* IMO. see i think the sensor is picking up more of the heat from the intake manifold than the actual air temp.
They do pick up the heat from the lower intake in the stock location - I used to have logs of cars @ idle with IAT's of 210* (and the coolant was 212*, coincidentally). My own car did this, and after I welded a bung on my UICP before the TB, I now enjoy IAT's in the mid 80's unless I get on it hard.

·
Registered
460 Posts
They do pick up the heat from the lower intake in the stock location - I used to have logs of cars @ idle with IAT's of 210* (and the coolant was 212*, coincidentally). My own car did this, and after I welded a bung on my UICP before the TB, I now enjoy IAT's in the mid 80's unless I get on it hard.
Where did you get the bung?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Relocating the sensor on supercharged applications is extremely helpful as well in setting up a fail safe in the tune.

For example, my last Mustang with the methanol flowing would see air temps down around 115 degree's. Without the methanol my air temps would go just over 200 degree's running an s-trim at 11 psi. We had it tuned to pull timing if the air temps ever went over 130 degree's at WOT. Additionally, I relocated my IAT sensor in the discharge tube just before the throttle body instead of the lower intake as it normally is. With the methanol nozzle spraying right on the IAT sensor now. The sensor is very sensitive to changes in the methanol injection system allowing the ECU to react instantly if changes in flow occur.

I could purposely disconnect the power to the methanol pump and the motor would fall on its face as the ECU was pulling out a ton of timing. At the same time the driver would feels this and would pull his foot out of it in real world conditions.

We have literally hundreds of customers who also do not want to damage their engine due to a methanol injection failure. Its all in the tune and how you set up everything.

Rodney

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'll prob call you about this, this week, but do you have an pics. I just bought my blanket and got excel back on the laptop. So after this I thing we will be good to go with my tune.

·
Registered
854 Posts
thanks for the pic. I'm guessing that is the pung that everyone talked about buying fo $10? I don't have a drill otherwise I'd do that. Would I just mount it on the side of the intake pipe on the straight section as close to the tb as possible?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Is that the exhaust right behind it in the picture?

Rodney
yeah. The way things run in the engine bay, there's no other way to get the piping up there. I don't see any issues from the downpipe being there and wrapped, though.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts