Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a couple of posts in the DOHC section about spun rod bearings while on a road course.The implication is that in corners the motor is starved for oil so the fix is to have at least 6.5 qts I guess to keep the pickup covered in oil.I know that a RR pan is the real cure but will an over fill keep the motor safe also?I don't think we have to worry about windage as the crank doesn't hang below the block skirting and the heads hold a lot of oil when running.So,what do you experts say?

·
Registered
377 Posts
An overfill is not a bad idea. In fact I overfilled my car by a quart on my last track outing. I hit 1.2 G's at peak and oil pressure was steady the whole time. It is not a guarantee that you won't experience a pressure drop especially as you start seeing higher lateral loads, but it is a sound preventative measure.

For some other cars, the owners manual specifically will recommend an overfill as well if the owner plans on tracking their car.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've read that the oil return passages were too small. At least in the older 4V's like mine. They stash alot of oil up in the heads. I run a little overfilled.

·
Registered
72 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts