Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car has been a real disapointment in the mod category. I have opened up the intake short of porting the heads and the exhaust short of the headers. My car is a 97 Cobra and my best trap speed is 105 mph and my best time is 13.39. Granted if I figure out the launch I can cut 3 tenths of that, but the trap speed is short of where it should be. :lol:

I have a Pro_M 77 MAF, UPR Power Pipe, Ford Oval TB, PHP Stage II Intake, IMRC Deletes, Bassani X w/ cats, Bassani Catback, 4.10 gears, t56 tranny.

Did I get a Monday or Friday built motor? Am I going to have to rebuild to get any real power out of this engine. My last dyno, before Powerpipe and ProM, was 275rwhp dynotuned. Now I am running without a chip though with the Pipe and ProM.

Any bright Ideas! or am I just do for a rebuild. Most Importantly, If I rebuild do you think that will fix my power problem or can something else, electrical, that could be causing my problem. :confused:

·
Registered
571 Posts
You need to remember that the weight of the T56 is slowing you some, not to mention the gearing in it isn't as steep as it is in a T45. Try some 4.56 gears, and you should see an improvement.

Where are you shifting at in the RPM range?

Might I sugest shortie headers if you don't want to have to buy a new h-pipe. Perhaps even going with a set of LT's if you don't mind the cost.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Get rid of the oval TB??? That doesnt sound like a remedy.. My buddy Omar and I tested a stock 4v TB against the Oval TB at the track and with the stock TB I lost 3.89 mph. Instead of buying a new TB you could use the money for a good dyno-tune, and or step up to 4.56 gear, with the intake work you have, you are probably falling out of your sweet spot with the 4.10's. The oval TB you have is a good piece and is very comparable to the Accufab...DA Snake Boy!!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wangstang said:
You need to remember that the weight of the T56 is slowing you some, not to mention the gearing in it isn't as steep as it is in a T45. Try some 4.56 gears, and you should see an improvement.

Where are you shifting at in the RPM range?

Might I sugest shortie headers if you don't want to have to buy a new h-pipe. Perhaps even going with a set of LT's if you don't mind the cost.

The T56 has a steeper 2nd and 3rd gear as the 1/4 mile is concerned.

I shift at 6800 rpms if I do it right (power shift, no lift on throttle). Really haven't seen any improvement shifting higher, which I have tried.

Until I get my motor in good working shape, I don't want to keep spending more money on other mods and continue getting half the return I should get. I have plenty of mods to be running 107+ mph in the 1/4.

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
duane v said:
Get rid of the oval TB??? That doesnt sound like a remedy.. My buddy Omar and I tested a stock 4v TB against the Oval TB at the track and with the stock TB I lost 3.89 mph. Instead of buying a new TB you could use the money for a good dyno-tune, and or step up to 4.56 gear, with the intake work you have, you are probably falling out of your sweet spot with the 4.10's. The oval TB you have is a good piece and is very comparable to the Accufab...DA Snake Boy!!!
Have to agree on the TB, I don't understand how that could help, The Oval is about as unrestricted as I could get, maybe a torque loss??

The T56 is geared really close compared to the T45 so rpm drop isn't nearly that much. First gear is definitely hurting me, I am geared like a t45 with like 3.68 gears in first, but out multiply a t45 with 4.10s in 2nd and 3rd. When I had the custom chip in... my car still made crap power on the dyno, so I don't know that would fix much.

Thanks for the thoughts, Anyone Else???

I really think regardless of the track ET, the mph really should be much higher. I should have 300rwhp for sure and it just isn't the case. What do you think it causing my lack in power :barf:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Do you think your IMRC's might be costing you some lowend grunt?

Have you done a compression test on the engine to see what kind of cylider pressure your getting?

Any smoke?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Sorry guys but the SVO throttle body loses power and torque (even over stock). In either n/a and or power adder form. Reliable test results show that the SVO unit makes less power and torque than stock.

As far as a custom dyno tune. NA cobras don't need chips. Get a timing adjuster and be done with it.

As for the guy that took the SVO TB off and lost 3 mph, sorry but your test is wrong. In N/A form, the stock throttle body flows about 1000 cfm. The SVO TB drastically reduces the velocity of air which a n/a car desperately needs. Your motor doesnt need anywhere near 1000 cfm (probably half of that).

The Accufab throttle body is the only one that will gain power over a stock unit.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave,

That being the case, what advantage could the Accufab have over the stock. Does it give the car more velocity???

How does that work?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would go with a Timing Adjuster for sure!:D

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My test is wrong??? Dave were you there at Cal speedway when the test was done?? I dont think so.. Venom 98 was there and Rich from the board witnessed it. For me I thought the track was the ultimate test for what works and what dont.. Although in your position it would be hard to be objective, especially when your sponsored by the same mfg. that makes the TB, so I would say your opinions are biased. Accufab has great hardware I have the billet trigger wheel and the billet oil-pump gears they make and they work great. Maybe my test are exaggerated due to the Stage 3 P&P, 5 angle valve job and the 11:5.1 pistons,, but you will have a hard time convincing me of swapping my Oval TB for the Accufab, maybe Mark Sanchez will let borrow one and I can test them at the track against the Accufab..DA Snake boy!!!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
DS97Cobra said:
Dave,

That being the case, what advantage could the Accufab have over the stock. Does it give the car more velocity???

How does that work?
It's up to John to tell people how it works. It's his product, I'll leave it up to him. It does work, just ask the Tymensky's.

Dave

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
duane v said:
My test is wrong??? Dave were you there at Cal speedway when the test was done?? I dont think so.. Venom 98 was there and Rich from the board witnessed it. For me I thought the track was the ultimate test for what works and what dont.. Although in your position it would be hard to be objective, especially when your sponsored by the same mfg. that makes the TB, so I would say your opinions are biased. Accufab has great hardware I have the billet trigger wheel and the billet oil-pump gears they make and they work great. Maybe my test are exaggerated due to the Stage 3 P&P, 5 angle valve job and the 11:5.1 pistons,, but you will have a hard time convincing me of swapping my Oval TB for the Accufab, maybe Mark Sanchez will let borrow one and I can test them at the track against the Accufab..DA Snake boy!!!
I'm going on knowledge and testing. I don't need to be at your testing. It doesnt take a brain surgeon to know that your test was whacked bigtime. Stock Throttle body flows 1000 cfm, even your motor doenst need anywhere near that much, you are not in need of more air, just more velocity. The SVO unit kills velocity. Why do you think the 99 cobra heads flow 15% less than the 96-98 heads do yet they make more power, stock for stock?

As far as being objective. I back nothing if it doesnt work. My history shows that. There are several guys on this board that have already tested the Accufab throttle body and picked up good power (Both over the stock and SVO units) Go figure........

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I posted the question to him and am interested to hear his reply. It would have to make sense to me from a physics standpoint to consider buying one.

So we have timing, throttle body, & chip as suggested problems. Anything else?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Well Dave Im gonna test the Ford Oval TB against the Accufab, my buddy ONERICHRUNNER just purchased the Accufab TB and is willing to take his off and see if there is a differance in my Stang. Although he loves the Accufab TB and told me he noticed a big differance from the stock TB. I just need to be sure, if Im gonna fork out $360 for another TB..I hope your right..DA Snake boy!!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Duane,

Could you keep me posted on this experiment please. Will definitely help with my decision

O

·
0 Posts
There you go again Duane....wrenching my car apart! :D j/k

Even though John is the maker of the Accufab T Body I do feel he is a no bs guy with the testing he did with the bbk, stock, oval Ford ,& his own. I did notice a real world difference with the Accufab T body as soon as I put it in. With ported heads, imrc deletes, & 8.5-1 slugs I need all the help I can get.

Myself, I don't need any testing. But if Duane would like to hit the dyno with his Ford oval, and we can get Omar to supply the stocker, (Hey O, your car isn't running anyhow... :p ), and I will pull my hat (the Accufab) and we have an honest to God independent test running. The BBK is a proven loser so we won't include that. It would be just a waste of dyno time. :lol:

BTW... my money is on the Accufab. :evil: :

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yes Shaun I do need to keep my hands off your Stang, but its been one hell of a test mule no doubt. Next week when my boss comes back to work we will do the testing, Im sure Omar will have no problem with giving up the stock TB since I gave mine away..Shaun Ill bet you $1 that there isnt more than a 3 hp differance between the Ford Oval TB and the Accufab TB..DA Snake boy!!

O

·
0 Posts
duane v said:
Yes Shaun I do need to keep my hands off your Stang, but its been one hell of a test mule no doubt. Next week when my boss comes back to work we will do the testing, Im sure Omar will have no problem with giving up the stock TB since I gave mine away..Shaun Ill bet you $1 that there isnt more than a 3 hp differance between the Ford Oval TB and the Accufab TB..DA Snake boy!!
That is a 1$ bet on my blown application? :D J/K One way or another I'll get your beast strapped to the dyno... :cool:

I really have no clue what the peak hp would be on a N/A application but I would like to see the entire power band. That is what interests me.

O

·
0 Posts
duane v said:
Yes Shaun I do need to keep my hands off your Stang, but its been one hell of a test mule no doubt.
Remember this when I got my car.....

Duane says: " Hey Shawn, where are your imrc's?"
Shawn says: "WTF are imrc's? "
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Windsor guy steps into mod motor world and initially gets LOST.....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts