Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody got any experience's with these electric motored, belt driven water pumps? I see they offer a 28% over drive pulley as a option. Any gains at the track when using one of these? How about on the street for a weekend warrior? THe deal is I need to order a new water pump pulley for my standard rotation water pump and thought about getting one of these instead. Any body have some info????

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I have no clue if it picks up any power but I like mine to run while the car is off in the pits.

Works fine for me and my turbo junk idles/cruises at 170-180* with that water pump motor, a junk flex-a-lite and an old mid 80s aries radiator because of where I put the turbo.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no clue if it picks up any power but I like mine to run while the car is off in the pits.

Works fine for me and my turbo junk idles/cruises at 170-180* with that water pump motor, a junk flex-a-lite and an old mid 80s aries radiator because of where I put the turbo.
Thanks for the reply. So I take it that you do drive your car on the street from time to time and have had no cooling issues. Do you have the standard pulley or the overdriven pulley that moroso offers?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Thanks for the reply. So I take it that you do drive your car on the street from time to time and have had no cooling issues. Do you have the standard pulley or the overdriven pulley that moroso offers?
no idea . . . I got it off ebay for $40 with the motor, pulleys, belt, little bracket and a bunch of misc bolts.

My car makes slightly over 500rwhp but I only have put maybe 20-30 street miles a week on it. Its not a stop and go traffic car . . . so take that for what its worth but I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

heres a pic of it while I was building the car just to give you an idea.

its definitely not a "cruiser" type car as it is stripped and is mainly built just to go quick in a straight line.

·
Registered
752 Posts
no personal experience. but i've heard nothing but crap on the use of these. found some info while doing research on electric water pumps

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I use one on my car. Swapped the wiring to use the factory reverse rotation water pump. Very easy to install, wire, and use. Less than $100 and works great. Ordering one for our '69 this week, actually. By running the pump driver and fan in the pits, I dropped 100 degrees (190 to 90) in approx. 10 minutes.

Advantages: Cost effective, ability to utilize stock heater hoses / retain defrost ability, easy

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
it is actually made to just circulate the water in the pits.

I have had issues with it being able to move the water.

when heavy pressure loads are within, the little motor just cannot push the water thru the radiator...it was not designed to do so...!!!

power gains are only because there is no belt / drag running off of the crank!!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Keeps mine cool before during and after the run. I also have a tuarus fan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts