Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost ready to drop the 2V into my 89 Coupe. Whenever I did a pushrod motor, I installed the clutch and bellhousing before I dropped it in, and did the gearbox from underneath. With the 3650 bellhousing bolting on from the inside, this isn't an option.

Did you guys drop the motor in with the motor/trans together, or just the motor and put the trans in from underneath?

Thank you.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
You can drop it right in. I dropped a 4V with the trans attached into a 2000 a few years back. Was tight but went right in. Had to remove the starter.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
You will need to cut a small piece off the transmission , that holds the wiring harness , for the 3650 trans to clear the floor .
I installed my 4 cam engine in the car , then the trans .
I did not have a lift to get the car high enough to install as on piece .

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will need to cut a small piece off the transmission , that holds the wiring harness , for the 3650 trans to clear the floor .
I installed my 4 cam engine in the car , then the trans .
I did not have a lift to get the car high enough to install as on piece .
Is it these? Do I need to remove them all? Is it both sides?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
No its the "ears" on the top of the case. They're like little nubs sticking out you'll know it when you see them. I had to cut mine too even dropping it into a 98. I also had to use an Energy Suspension trans mount with the extra plate removed to get just enough clearance so the 3650 didn't hit the tunnel at all. Great trans tho, had it rebuilt by a random transmission shop with good reviews and all the TSBs done, thing shifted like a dream.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No its the "ears" on the top of the case. They're like little nubs sticking out you'll know it when you see them. I had to cut mine too even dropping it into a 98. I also had to use an Energy Suspension trans mount with the extra plate removed to get just enough clearance so the 3650 didn't hit the tunnel at all. Great trans tho, had it rebuilt by a random transmission shop with good reviews and all the TSBs done, thing shifted like a dream.
Ah. This one.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
Yep

1 - 9 of 9 Posts