Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2001GT with AOD. It is a daily driver and I want to modify it some but not radically. Below is a plan of what I will do (in order). Please comment on the order, bang for the buck, etc.

1.) Replace stock wheels and tires with Detata wheels and Michelin Pilot XGT tires. (This was done when I bought the car).
2.) K&N Air Filter (done)
3.) Removed Air Silencer (done)
4.) Underdrive Pulleys
5.) Cold Air Intake
6.) Timing Adjuster
7.) Cat back Exhaust (probably Flowmasters)
8.) Computer CHip (probably Diablo)

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
WALTERA:

You're off to a good start. Other things to think about....

Shift kit, too!! Check out the "Jerry mod" shift kit at tccoa.com (look under Tech Articles then Transmissions and the article is "Transmissions 101", NOT the "Shift Kits" article). Jerry Wroblewski is a (former) Ford transmission engineer who helped design the 4R70W trans in our cars. He works for Roush Racing now. His technical articles are mandatory reading, imho. For your chip, track down Dennis Reinhart of Reinhart Racing; he has access to Jerry's tuning tweaks. (Try a search here or under the members listing -- he's here).

X-pipe is a nice touch, too because the stock intermediate pipe is pretty restrictive. The stock cat-back flows well enough up to about 400 hp but the sound is a little tame.

Consider new gears. They will get you up into the developed power range quicker and the car will be more enjoyable to drive. Go with 3.73s if you are on the highway much or 4.10s if mainly in the city. Gas mileage does not suffer significantly, maybe 1 mpg less than with stock gearing.

I think I've helped spend enough of your money for now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
don't forget the trans cooler!!!!!

its a MUST

·
Registered
20 Posts
WALTERA said:
3.) Removed Air Silencer (done)
If I was you, I'd put that back on. It doesn't seem to do any good to take that off on the modern Stangs.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I agree with nyuk98gt.

1. X-pipe (make sure you listen to one first...some don't like it. And don't use it with flowmasters) or H-pipe if you like the sound better.
2. Gears. 4.10s especially for our automatics. (need chip or hypertech programmer to correct speedo)
3. Underdrive pullies, Steeda, ASP, not piggy-back style like March
4. Timing adjuster OR chip. If you do the chip, do it after your done modding or get one that provides free re-burns.

Any other advice needs a little more input from you. What do you plan on using the car for? Drag racing, autoX, street sleeper, looks, daily driver only...

Good luck and welcome to Corral.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I second the "Jerry Mod" shift kit!! I am very happy with mine! As far as a trans cooler goes, you really don't NEED one. The shift kit alonw will drop your temps by 20* or so. Now, if you get blown, then you may need one. Anyhow, you're off to a good start!

P.S. Sub-frames--full length!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
4.10 gears, 2800-3200 stall T/C, SVO or B&M tranny cooler, autologic chip/inject chip to fix speedo, shifts/torque converter lockup, PA valve body with transbrake. Go have fun :evil:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts