Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the situation, My car is making a knocking noise Had somone listen to it and they used a stethescope..Sounds like its comming from the top end on the left side..He belives it is the timing chain tensioner cause the chain to slap around. anyways I just drained my oil and there are metal shavings in it, what should i do? I want some opinions on what everyone thinks it could be and what i should do. SHould i pull the front cover and Check the chain or It was also suggested that i should go ahead and pull the motor and go from there. what do you think?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Definatly pull the valve cover from where the noise is coming from and check the tension of the chain, it will be loose if a tensioner is starting to go south, lets hope thats all it is...DA Snake boy!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well this is Travis's buddy, I am the one who was jacking with the car. My cobra had spun a bearing before so i know what it sounds like. This is alittle lighter knock, but it is a knocking noise, not a scraping noise which occurs with the timing chains. A reputable mechanic (supposedly) checked out his car with a stethiscope and said he BELIEVES it is the timing chain. I just remember when I was trying to diagnose my car it was difficult with the stethiscope due to the noise echo within the engine. What I am assuming happened is the timing chain possibly wore down the white plastic? guides. Then the timing chain is scraping around and the metal ran through the engine causing other damage? So what i did first, ofcourse was to drain the oil and there was glitter in the oil, or metal shavings. Since this is the case would you suggest Travis to take out the engine and just get it redone? Or tear off the timing chain cover, and see what is going on. IM trying to persuade him to have me just yank the thing out, so i can have a better look at things , and then have a professional engine shop look at it and if need be change to forged internals. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I hate pulling an engine unless I need to. That said, metal in the oil is never a good sign.

I heard the sound and it certainly seemed to be coming from the left valve cover and sounded much more like a rattle than a knock. I agree with Duane that you should pull the cover and take a look. If all looks fine, you pull the engine. That valve cover is fairly easy to remove.

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts