Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are installing rear CO on my 88 GT

in the MM instructions it says we could change out the lca's to a lighter weight set .

back in 2003 we had MM standard LCA's MMRLCA 79-98 installed

I want to keep the stock rear sway bar , until we do the entire rear end swap

the ones I have on the car look the same as the HD or Extreme LCA's MM has now. and can get them without spring perches. I'm sure they are better than the 03 ones.

car is a 427 Dart with prob 450+ rwhp. and a T-56 2.66 and 3:27 gear ( I know it needs more gear)

which new LCA's would you recommend ?

HD's are for about 400 rwhp

Extremes are for up to 1000 rwhp. would it help or hurt to use these?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Do you have poly on the chassis end and a bearing on the axle end?

·
Registered
251 Posts
ive got the heavy duty with no coil perch. I am planning on getting the extreme with a coil perch in a few weeks. I have found the less weight of the perch isnt worth the fact youve got less options available for the arm when youre done with it (selling it, using it in another application, a lot more people have rear springs than coil overs)

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have poly on the chassis end and a bearing on the axle end?
Higgins in Douglasville Ga did the work.

they installed Steeda upper control arm bushing set
Energy susp rear spring isolators ES 46101G
HFP-0001 control arm box in plate.

and the MM MMRLCA standard lower control arms.

no other part number with the invoice from 2003.

just standard , what ever they used back then,

But the car never had any horse power like it will now, also have MM full length welded sub frame connectors on it now

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rear coil overs

we got them installed today, new quad shocks also, they are really close to the coil over spring,
I read on MM you can add a couple washers on the top end of the quad shock bracket, we added 2 washers it seemed to give a little more clearance ...

how much clearance should you have between the quad shock shaft, and the coil over spring?

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With less compliance in your aftermarket control arm bushings, I would just remove the quad shocks all together.
darn I just put them on today, just don't look like much clearance ,

I'm going to try them and see if they scrub when I get the engine in

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Id go with XD arms without spring perch,
the drag racing arms are the ones that are good for 1000hp....

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I have the bolt-in kit with the .75" solid bar. Currently have height-adjustable MM LCAs with T/A springs and Bilsteins. Moving to a C/O setup next season along with new LCAs (no perch or stock sta-bar mount). I like the bar and its adjustability. Keep in mind it's a tuning tool. The basic suspension must be in place and then use the bar to fine-tune the set-up to track conditions, new brakes, tires, and so forth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts