Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys or gals with the MM firewall adjuster had any issues getting the thing to turn without moving the cable? I sanded it per the instructions and it would turn well when it wasn't installed, but now its a no go. I will have to disconnect the cable to get everything installed the way I want it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I just installed the UPR unit with a lock ring. It fits the MM universal clutch cable that MM sells and is a far better set up than MM IMHO

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up disconnecting the cable in order to get the cable free of the adjuster. I need to get the bracket to move the clutch pedal down. The current height doesn't work for me. 6'3"

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had the same problem u are having when I got one a few months ago. it came to the point where the threads seized on me while I was trying to install it, so I said fack it, and went down to the local ford parts counter and got the FRPP/Steeda with the locking mechanism, damn good adjuster and it was like $38. Then I called MM and they sent a new 1, I sold it soon as it was at my doorstep. I didnt want to mess with it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have no experience with the MM one but I do have some with the UPR one(came NIB with the car). I have broken 4 clutch cables in the past 6 months because of the UPR quadrant. It broke every single one of them with in the 1" of the swaged fitting. Im not sure what is causing it but its getting old. I need to contact UPR to see what they are going to do about the (4) $60 clutch cable I have had to buy. I will never buy another UPR product.

If I were to do it over again. I would go with the fiore or FRPP one.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I have no experience with the MM one but I do have some with the UPR one(came NIB with the car). I have broken 4 clutch cables in the past 6 months because of the UPR quadrant. It broke every single one of them with in the 1" of the swaged fitting. Im not sure what is causing it but its getting old. I need to contact UPR to see what they are going to do about the (4) $60 clutch cable I have had to buy. I will never buy another UPR product.

If I were to do it over again. I would go with the fiore or FRPP one.
Check the alignment of the cable under the dash as it goes through the firewall. Sometimes the quadrant isn't aligned correctly or may be installed incorrectly and it creates an angle on the cable creating chaffing.

There is one on my car(UPR), and the above is what I determined to be the issue.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did either of you apply antiseize to the threads of the adjuster as outlined in the instructions?
Yes I did and in my case that isn't the issue. The adjuster moves fine on the threads. My issue is with the rubber bushing that turns inside the actual adjuster. When I try to turn the adjuster, it tries to turn the cable and the bushing does not allow the cable and asjuster to move freely from one another.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
suggestion

Yes I did and in my case that isn't the issue. The adjuster moves fine on the threads. My issue is with the rubber bushing that turns inside the actual adjuster. When I try to turn the adjuster, it tries to turn the cable and the bushing does not allow the cable and adjuster to move freely from one another.
If I understand what you have wrote. Sounds like you didn't sand down the enter of the cable for the rubber bushing enough. I have tried all the other brands and MM seem to work the best for cable types. Just my two cents

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I love my MM quadrant and adjuster the UPR one sucks.

I applied anti seize per the instructions and it has been fine for over a year. I didnt buy the kit so I dont kno what cable they give you but I had a sn95 cable that had the rubber bushing thing on it and it was a SOB to turn in there. I ended up using some oil in it and it was fine for a while that cable broke and I put a stock fox one without the rubber bushing and it turns just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Bullitt,

There are a couple of possibilities that I can think of. The supplied rubber bushing/hose (step 14) that goes over the plastic end of the clutch cable could be a little bit too long. If it is too long, then when installed, its ID will be made larger because it is being expanded by the barb on the end. This would lock the rubber bushing to the adjuster.

If you aren't using a Ford OEM cable, the diameter of the plastic end could be larger, also causing too much interference. This would require more sanding of the plastic or you could slit the rubber bushing lengthwise, cut out a small segment (0.060" wide or so) and reinstall the rubber bushing.

As one person pointed out above, you will need to pull the cable housing forward slightly while turning the adjusting nut.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just looked and the rubber bushing split from front to back. I guess that is what is causing my issue.

Also, I am using the MM OEM cable. Its the whole MM package. Quad, Firewall Adj., and Cable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts