Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MUSCLE MUSTANGS & FAST FORDS REAL RADIAL TIRE SHOOTOUT

Have you ever wanted to have you car featured in Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine? Do you enjoy squeezing every ounce of performance from your ride at the dragstrip? Then we have just the ticket for you. Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine is looking for participants for an upcoming shootout and you could be one of them.

Lots of people run drag radials full-time on their hotrods, but the majority of people out there use a conventional radial tire. That being said, we want to see just how fast you can go with that type of tire. We’ll provide the track; you provide the horsepower.

The event will be held in October in Englishtown, New Jersey at Raceway Park, MM&FF’s home track. More information about the event will be given out once the submissions have been tallied and competitors have been chosen.

Here are the rules:

-Any late-model Ford/Lincoln/ Mercury vehicle.
-Any engine, any mods, any number of power adders—bring it all!
-Stock style suspension only.
-Finished interior. Racing buckets Ok as long as there are two front seats. Rear seat delete OK if properly carpeted or upholstered
-Any radial tire so long as it is NOT a D.O.T.-approved drag or road racing tire. Tire specifications/models must be submitted upon entry and approved by the MM&FF staff.
-Any transmission.
-Must have all NHRA required safety equipment, racing license per applicable elapsed time/mph.
-Mufflers required and all cars must pass Englishtown’s strict noise restrictions. No bullet-style mufflers allowed.

Shootout submissions should include exterior, interior and engine pictures, along with detailed information about your car, including dragstrip times, horsepower output, mods list, etc … Be sure to include all of your contact information. Send all submissions to [email protected], or snail mail them to Source Interlink Media, 9036 Brittany Way, Tampa, Florida 33619, Attn: Steve Baur.

Thanks and Good Luck,

Steve Baur

Associate Editor, MM&FF

·
Registered
379 Posts
damn so no mickey thomspon drag radials,only tires like nitto and bfgoodrich

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No drag radials at all. No 555Rs, no BFG drag radials. Just your everday radial. Probably anything with a treadwear of 180 or more is a safe bet. We'll be reviewing the choices later on.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Sounds dangerous!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look on any of the internet video sites and watch all of the crashes on there that occur at the strip. I am willing to bet the majority of them had drag tires on the cars. It's all too easy to make horsepower and overpower any tire. If anything, it might be safer. You don't have the extra traction to make you go faster.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
You guys car about the MSD 7531?...Slew would be a big advantage in this one.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Id love to do this, as i already have an idea what my car runs on a real radial tire (about 1.5 secods slower ) but i already am doing a track rental at e-town the 17th of oct. Not sure if i can get off again with out knowing a tentative date.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Sounds dangerous!
Lots of tracks run real radial classes and are moving pretty damn good on them.... most run Mastercraft or futuras. Its not very popular in the NE though, so getting a decent turnout could be hard, Hell I would try it if my red car was up and running, the blue notch that I am drive now would be lucky to go 13's on a slick.

So there is no tire size limit and retreads are allowed as long as is above a 180 tread wear rating?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well the Z06 corvette can go 11's on street tires, so I would suspect 10's are are going to be common place and even 9's possibly??

11secA-trim

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Lots of tracks run real radial classes and are moving pretty damn good on them.... most run Mastercraft or futuras. Its not very popular in the NE though, so getting a decent turnout could be hard, Hell I would try it if my red car was up and running, the blue notch that I am drive now would be lucky to go 13's on a slick.

So there is no tire size limit and retreads are allowed as long as is above a 180 tread wear rating?
I was just saying its dangerous if you get a car with some power on some radials.My car on any tire will kill them from a 70 roll on the street.ET street drags whatever.Im sure theres some out there that can do it.Im not even gonna attemt it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
sounds right up my alley, i can go 10.00s easy on true radials.

·
Registered
96 Posts
15" Tires shouldnt be allowed,nobody uses those outdated radial sizes anymore unless its a slick or drag radial,just look at how many regular radial tires are for sale in that size(take 275/60R15) at any tire company like tirerack vs something more common nowadays like a 275/40R17...just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually there are quite a few companies that still produce radial tires in those sizes. Sometimes they are not in the newer tire models, but they are available none-the-less.

·
Registered
96 Posts
yes and they're made for trucks and vans,just look at the speed ratings for those tires lol ....most of them,if not all are S-rated,112mph!...its risky to ask people to run very fast with those kinds of tires.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
yes and they're made for trucks and vans,just look at the speed ratings for those tires lol ....most of them,if not all are S-rated,112mph!...its risky to ask people to run very fast with those kinds of tires.
Alot of people run skinnies designed for vw's that probably arent even s rated lol, which on an 03 cobra is scarey because they are so nose heavy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts