Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was everyone's take on the MM&FF article where they did some minor bolt on mods to a 2001 GT? I was reallys urprised they picked up 4 hp and some TQ removing the air silencer. When I removed mine I thought it ran worse than when I trimmed it flush with the wheel well. I wonder if we will ever know for sure which is better.

I was also surpised they made gains with the throttle body and MAF. From what I have read it seems like they provide little gain on N/A motors.

I will be interested to see what kind of power they make with the exhaust mods they plan on doing.

Oh yeah, anyone else question their 13.70 ET with a baseline of 219HP?

Also I noticed in the article pertaining to Saleen's new E engine that they made a comment about the 02 Ford valve jobs being better than the 01 Ford valve jobs. What was tha all about?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I haven't seen the article, nor do I have first hand knowledge about the gains one might see with their proposed mods, but just remember, the magazine is testing it's advertisers' products. Do you expect them to state that the MAF and Throttle body aren't worth a damn?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I hear ya squawkin....the gain wasn't earth shattering but none the less it made an overall gain. I am most interested in the air silencer removal gain especially since most often dyno numbers reflect negative results wiht the snorkel removed. I always figured it was because the car was not in motion with airflow. All I know is that when I removed the snorkel in the summer the car seemed sluggish from a stop since the cars wasn't moving fast enough to create an airflow. I also figured with the gaping opening in the airbox, it was sucking in the hot air from the engine compartment until the car was moving fast enough to get cooler air flowing into the air intake. This is beginning to sound much like the 3.73/4.10 debate. Maybe I will pull the snorkel off and try it again and see what I think now. And yes, I "reset" the computer each time.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Well, my SOTP experience has been that I've run with snorkel on, snorkel off and snorkel trimmed and haven't felt a bit of difference. Don't know what the dyno might show, but it won't be much, IMHO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
No MM&FF actually advised against getting an 80 mm MAF for the N/A 2valve. they said it wasn't worth the $300 for N/A.

This was in a 1999 article by Vinnie Kung. They got 4 hp using the after market TB at lower rpm, they pulled off the serpentine belt and only got 5 extra which made them comment :This makes us wonder how effective a set of pulleys would be on a 1999+...........

I thought they were fairly candid.

They even said don't bother with exhaust on a 1999+ stock GT except for better sound. Now IRS Cobra was a different story.

Seems like they implied:

Steeda Timing adjuster works well

Long tube headers are worth it, the short tubes weren't.

Definitely hi flow cats or O/R H or X pipe.

Bullitt intake was too expensive for the extra power on a GT.

CAI was a waste of money.

....maybe they've changed their tune in 2001.I hope not.

·
Registered
51 Posts
01LaserRed5 said:
Oh yeah, anyone else question their 13.70 ET with a baseline of 219HP?
One of the Houston guys ran [email protected] with 221 RWHP (99 GT with K&N filter, Flowmaster mufflers)...

MM&FF can usually get some impressive times. Was that Evan Smith behind the wheel?

·
Registered
322 Posts
What month was that article in?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is the newest issue out, I just got it in the mail yesterday. I am at work and left the magazine at home. I am sure it is May or later since the mags always seems to be ahead two months for one reason or anthoer.

Not sure who was driving the car but it is nice to know a bone stock GT can do 13.70's. And it sounds like they have changed their tune since writing the other article about bolt on mods for a 99+ GT, or at least the 2001 model. Any idea about the valve job comment ragrding the 02 heads having a cleaner valve job than the 01 heads?

I also like the article where they compared a Shelby GT350 against the same 2001 Mustang GT. Interesting if nothing else. Even if the GT is faster than the Shelby, I'd have to say given the oppourtunity I would take the Shelby instead.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am inclined to agree with 01LaserRed5 regarding the Throttle body. I purchased a BBK 70mm unit a couple of months ago. I was told by three separate people that I had 'Wasted my money'. When I recieved it, I installed it anyway, figuring that it would be difficult to return. I immediately noticed a difference. -The throttle response was much quicker and It really seems to pull harder. I noticed much more of an improvement than I did with adding a CAI. I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least.

There's no dyno at my location, (Ankara, Turkey) so take it for what it's worth. I can only tell you about my seat-of-the-pants feeling.

One thing that must be made clear regarding that MM&FF article. The introduction of any one bolt-on should be considered more of a multiplier, rather than a stand-alone. Ex. A 70mm TB added to a stock 99+ GT probably won't give you the 9HP and 4TQ that MM&FF recieved, unless you're layering your bolt-ons like they did. -It's benefits will snowball as other improvements to airflow and exhaust are made. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts