Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i ran into a little difficulty installing my max motorsports lower k-member brace tonight. (MMBAK4-1) This is on my '88 LX 5.0. Loosely installed the two bolts on one side and when I moved to the other side, I found both mounting holes to be off about 1/2" - 3/4" or so.

Both pics taken looking towards the front of vehicle with drivers side on left. Spacing on the brace is 20 1/2" and 28 3/8". Does anyone have a stock K-member sitting around that they can measure so i can compare spacing of the bolt holes in that? I'm trying to determine if it's my K-member that is "different" or the brace is off.

My car is an original 1988 v8 car that i've owned since the mid 90's. I have no reason to suspect any accidents prior to my ownership. Nothing else in the car is misaligned and I just installed an MM STB and it fit like a glove.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: Well, after getting some measurements from an individual on another forum, it appears my K-member is bent or possibly was constructed incorrectly.

No signs of damage however, and my car still has all it's original panels with VIN tags.

I was planning on removing the engine this summer and installing a full MM K-member kit, so i'll cancel the brace install and wait until i can remove the engine and k-member and investigate this further.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Interesting!

Waaaaay back in early '96 I installed a K-member brace on my car. I don't remember the brand, but I know I had some other Kenny Brown parts on the car, so it may have been KB. At that point the front end was all stock. I remember I had to enlarge the holes to get it to fit - not 1/2" to 3/4", but I definitely had to do some work. I also remember that I didn't have a Dremel tool - not sure I even knew such a thing existed at that early point in my car modding history - so I did it all with a hand file. Lots of time laying on my back under the car in the garage. :p

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I Spent some more time under the car today and can't find any evidence of the car ever being hit. Probably looked around a good 2 hours. Both subframes and pinch welds are perfectly straight. So I tried to mount the brace again.

No dice. Looks like i'm off 1/2" or so. In fact, it looks like the K-member was installed slightly cheated to the pass side on the subframe mounting flanges. Perhaps that is limiting my ability to install this? I'm also still off a good 1/2" or so regardless.

Going to shelf this for the meantime. I am planning on a full MM K-member install this coming summer but wanted to install this brace simply because I had it and it looked like a 10-min install. Not going to kill myself here when i'll probably be removing it after 100 miles to do a full K-member.

The black paint is some POR-15 i applied years ago that apparently i forgot to get the other side with.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I had a similar problem as Patrick with my KB G-load brace. The car was an 86 vert so I figured the older K design and being a vert had a little to do with the issue. IIRC, I had to enlarge some holes and jack the piece into place (may have had added pre-load in the process). But I got it in. Made a noticeable difference to the vert.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had some unknown 2-pt brace kicking around that i had previously installed years ago but removed when i did my AOD-to-T5 swap. Ended up putting that back on since it was an easy install as i had drilled the holes years ago.

I sold the MM brace to a buddy. Like i said before, i am planning the full MM K-member later this year so i didn't want to spend too much time trying to get this brace in only to take it out 50 miles later.

Still interesting to see my K-member is somewhat "off" for some reason. I'll investigate further when i remove it from the car.

·
The Lurker
895 Posts
I'm interested to see what you find out about the K-member. The four point brace is the only other piece I haven't added to my build. Mainly because I don't know whether I'll use long tubes or not. I find it curious one never knows what they will find as far as symptoms of different assemblies or manufacturing tolerance differences.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts