Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here are a few pics of a mixed breed engine... 302 FORD short block with GM ls heads... apparently they are very similar, bore spacing, head bolt alignment, water jacket alignment, ect. 302 head gaskets on ls head in the middle pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow that's pretty cool I bet it would be hard to find an intake for that combo, but once you do that bad boy will make some big numbers those LS1 heads flow like mad

Sent from my Evo Shift 4G :look:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow that's pretty cool I bet it would be hard to find an intake for that combo, but once you do that bad boy will make some big numbers those LS1 heads flow like mad

Sent from my Evo Shift 4G :look:
from what i have read, the heads would need to be on a 351W and not a 302, because the ls and 351W block have almost identical deck height..for a production intake to line up. instead of a custom..

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Interesting, are you actually going to go thru with the build? If so, id be interested in the details

·
Registered
725 Posts
That is sweet. What exactly are the heads off of? I may be picking up a 302 shortblock and this seems like something fun to try.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is not my engine, seen this on another web site, thought i would share with corral...

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
My understanding is that the bore spacing is similar, but not same. The outer cylinders would need a custom piston or some serious fly cutting to clear the valves. These may be the same pics that pop up from time to time, I've yet to see one of these hybrids run.

·
Registered
568 Posts
i was tempted to try this out back when i had a set of new ls1 heads laying around. Thought about 289 rods with 350 pistons, but the cost of the cam and ignition ultimately drove me away. Although i bet a belt-driven dist like on that BXR intake package would be cheaper way to get it done.

Also then the intake would cost as i was basing it on a 302 not 351w but from what i heard 351w is better suited because deck height is better matched.

All in all its a very cool concept that i'd like to see somebody successfully get running

1 - 9 of 9 Posts