Ford Mustang Forums banner

Minimum to pass visual inspection

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Mustang5L5 
#1 ·
I’m in ny and building a 408w. It is a 1996 so in a year or two when I register it it will be more than 25 years old and will not have to actually pass an emissions test, meaning I could take everything off and they can’t do anything about it number wise. Problem is, they still do a visual inspection. I’m wondering what the bare minimum I need for them to say yep it’s got the smog stuff. I would love to get afr 205’s for it but they don’t have any of the smog passages so I wanna make sure I can still pass. I’ve heard that those crossover passages don’t do anything besides direct the air from the pump only when it’s cold and that I might not need them to pass the visual inspection. Can I just get the 3 way or high flow cats that don’t need the air pump and not need it or will they still fail me because it’s not there? Thanks guys!!

#7 ·
What 96 still uses a smog pump?
Is the engine a 96 or is the chassis?
I pulled an air pump off and there’s an air pump in the belt routing pic under the hood.

I know you guys said that it does not need to pass emissions in my other thread and that was true but I thought it still needed to pass a visual inspection because it’s a federal law that the smog stuff has to be in place. Or is that not true after 25 years. The dmv website isn’t totally clear on the visual inspection stuff. Thanks.

#5 ·
I said this before in another thread of yours. In NYS once a vehicle is 25 years old (current calendar year minus the vehicle model = 25 or higher) the NYS inspection is safety only. They only look at the following. This is from the NYS DMV website, New York State Vehicle Safety/Emissions Inspection Program

Seat Belts
Inspect for proper operation and anchorage.

• Model years 1969 and newer - one seat belt is required for each seating position
  • Model years 1967 and 1968 - two front seat belts are required (driver position included), and one seat belt is required for each seating position elsewhere in the vehicle
  • Model years 1965 and 1966 - two front seat belts are required (driver position included)
Your vehicle's Air Bag Warning Lamp will be checked for proper operation. You will be informed if the vehicle's air bag warning lamp is on or is not working. This is an advisement only and not cause for rejection.

Brakes
At least one front wheel must be removed to inspect the brakes.

• Brake pedal reserve - brake pedal must have 1/3 reserve
  • Brake pedal fade - brake must hold for one minute without fading
  • Power brake unit - check for proper operation
  • Brake master cylinder - check for leakage and proper fluid level
  • Disc brake pads - check condition
  • Drum brake linings - thickness of linings must be at least 1/16 inch on bonded linings or at least 1/32 inch over rivet head on riveted linings, with no loose or missing rivets or lining
  • Brake drums and/or rotors - check condition
  • Wheel cylinders and/or calipers - check for leakage
  • All brake lines and hoses - check for leaks, cracks, chafing, restrictions, and improper support
  • Parking brake - check for components and function
  • Brake equalization - test vehicle for a straight stop without significant wheel pull

Steering, Front End, Suspension, Chassis, Frame and Wheel Fasteners
Front end assembly - check condition

• Steering wheel play - check for excessive freeplay
  • All steering linkages - check for tightness or binding, excessive wear and/or looseness in parts, including idler arm, center control arm, tie-rod ends, drag link ends, steering and pitman arms, gear box, cross shafts, bushings, wheel bearings, steering column or steering wheel shaft mounting
  • Power steering - check operation, condition of belt, and for leakage
  • Shock absorbers - check shock mountings and for broken or missing shock absorbers
  • Springs and torsion bars - check for sagging or broken springs, or a broken, disconnected, missing or bent torsion or stabilizer bar
  • Chassis/frame - check for breaks, cracks, or severe rust at the suspension attachment points
  • Wheel fasteners - check for missing or broken parts

Tires (Except spare)
  • Tread depth - must be at least 2/32 inch when measured in two adjacent major tread grooves showing the most wear
  • Tire condition - check for any fabric break or cut over the length or width of 1 inch, visible bumps, bulges or knots, and any restricted use designation on the tire
  • Tire pressure - You will be informed if the vehicle's tire pressure in not within the manufacturer's recommendation. This is an advisement only, and not cause for rejection.

Lights
All lighting must be of an approved type and inspected for operation, proper mounting, and broken or missing lenses. Side marker lamps, parking lamps, and additional flashing turning lamps mounted on the side of the vehicle are not inspected.

• Headlamps (low and high beam)
  • Tail lamps
  • Stop lamps
  • Directional signals
  • Backup lights (1969 and newer)
  • License plate lights
  • Hazard warning/four-way flasher (1966 and newer)
  • Directional signal indicator

Windshield and Other Glass
  • All windows
    • Check for approved safety glass or rigid plastic and condition
    • Check for window tint
  • Windshield
    • Check for presence and condition
No crack of 11 inches long or longer is allowed if any part of the crack is within the area cleared by the windshield wiper.

Windshield Wipers and Blades
(Not including rear window or headlamp wipers)

• Wipers - check for presence and operation
  • Blades - check condition

Horn
Check mounting and operation

Mirrors
Check mirror locations for proper mounting, cracks, breaks, and/or discoloration.

• Model year 1970 and newer - must have a left outside mirror and an inside mirror, or both left and right outside mirrors
  • Model year 1968 and newer - must have a left outside mirror
  • 1967 and older - must have one mirror that is either an inside mirror or a left outside mirror
Note: Any vehicle that has a permanent obstruction of the view through the rear window (Example: a truck or van) must have both a left and a right outside mirror.

Fuel Leaks
Any fuel leak that causes dripping or pooling is not acceptable.

Emissions items presence or function are NOT part of the inspection for vehicles 25 years old and older in NY. Keep in mind this is a $10 inspection and the time it would take to check all this would cost the inspection garage 10X this in labor.

#6 ·
Same in NH. Safety only. I have no emissions equipment whatsoever on my engine, unless one thinks the PCV is (it isn't.)

Reactions: massacre
#11 ·
Every single state run emission testing center in illinois is thwarting the federally mandated law apparently. You dont believe this do you? I just brought my wifes 2012 escape in for the emission test. They opened the gas door to check the cap, which it doesnt have one, it was designed that way. They hooked up to the port under the dash, I sat in a box for 4 minutes and drove away with a piece of paper that said PASS.

#13 ·
I cant speak for New York but in ct it’s only a vin check for 25 yr old cars and nothing else. My car is fully gutted with a cage and essentially a track only car but I can register it and street drive it for under $200 a yr so I register and street drive it. You said you’re 14 so have someone bring you to a local inspection shop or dealership that does inspections and talk to someone there. Most places are cool and will answer questions. Worst they are going to say is no.

#14 ·
MA is very similar in the sense that my year doesn’t require an emissions check, but does do a safety check. However it’s supposed to still have the smog equipment on the car, but they cannot pop the hood. This is where it falls into a gray area.

depending on your inspector, there’s a lot you can get away with. Most want to see cats on the car. They can’t pop the hood but it’s pretty obvious when a car with no cats is pulling in. Some inspectors will ignore it, others will send you on your way and not perform an inspection.

if the car is too loud, they may also send you on your way.

the only smog related equipment on my car is a catted mid pipe (I actually want cats as I I hate the smell and don’t want my car too loud) and a functional EGR. Eventually it will be aftermarket ECU and the EGR will be inoperable. I’ll show up with cats andmufflers and pretty sure I’ll be fine. I bet I could Coyote swap my car and as long as it isn’t too obnoxiously loud and has cats Id have no issue getting a sticker.

Reactions: Scrappy507
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.