Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car sees 60% track, 40 percent street. Tires are MT Drag radials, with occasional MT ET Drags. Don't want to hop around when on the street, so which do you recommend?

·
Registered
305 Posts
neither one, if you are going to drive it put a detroit truetrac in it. kind of pricey but they are worth it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If I were to choose between the two, I would go with a full spool.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why full over mini? Do mini's fail or tend to fail? Obviously a full spool is not going to slip at all by design, but I really dread popping and hopping around corners.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Dont the mini and full both lock the axles? So they will both "hop" around on corners the same. I know allot of people that say its not that bad and others that say it sucks on the street.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Just put a detroit locker in and call it a day best of both worlds ,

·
Registered
716 Posts
Dont go with a minispool, they use c clip axles still and put too much stress on them in the turns. Eventually it will break, and could be VERY ugly when it chooses to do it. Mine broke on the starting line, I thought I spun and pedaled the car at which time it took a 90 turn to the wall. I saved it, but if it had happened another 50-100 ft out, there is no telling what would have happened. I would suggest getting a Moser or Strange setup that comes with the axles, spool and cclip eliminators. How fast is the car? Is your sig right? If you arent planning on going any faster, I would stick with the tlok, but if you do plan on upgrading (it always happens) I would get the package, it would save you money from doing it over again in the future.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I ran a Mini spool in my big block car.. On the street mostly. Only went to the track a few times, ran radials, drag radials, E.T. Streets and slicks and never had a problem. It would chirp the tires around corners a little bit but it wasnt bad.

·
Registered
740 Posts
A mini spool and a full spool both lock the axles indefinitely. The full spool is stronger, but you can install a mini spool on an 8.8 without removing the ring and pinion.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Whats the difference between a mini spool and regular spool

·
Registered
133 Posts
A full spool eliminates the entire differential. It is basically a solid piece with two holes for the axles and a big ring that the ring gear bolts to.

A mini-spool is added to a factory differential to remove the spider gear and make it act like a spool. But it isn't. It is still a factory differential, just with a couple parts added and a couple taken away.

No idea about the drag world (I am here reading everything so I can learn), but in the circle track world, a mini-spool is dirt only. The dirt will give before the mini-spool does. Asphalt, full spool is the way to go. With more grip, a mini-spool will frag quickly. Granted, they are turning a lot, and turning under power, but I wouldn't run a mini-spool on anything I was putting big power to asphalt.

Actually, I am running a full spool and all I have is mild 306 in a 2500 lbs car.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
One note I didnt see mentioned. The Mini spools I have seen WILL NOT fit in a standard Mustang / F-150 Limited slip rear carrier. You will need an "open" rear (factory one wheel peel) carrier and take the parts out of it. The Full spool requires c-clip elims or 9 inch axles ends.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Mustangs came with a traction lok diff, a mini spool will fit it, believe me, I had one in my car. The problem is that the mini-spool isnt supposed to "give". Put that on pavement with C-clip axles, and when the axles gives up (if street driven enough, it will), there is nothing to keep the axle in the rearend. Then, with you being on the street, when the axle comes out (with your wheel and tire still attached) you have big problems, such as the jagged edge of the broken axle dragging down your car, as the rearend is dragging on the ground, and where the axle and wheel go and hit after they leave your car.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies. Yes, my sig and posted times are correct. In '06 I snapped the factory 28 splines launching on slicks. At the time I was married and could only afford a 31 spline Moser c-clip 4 lug upgrade. Now I am divorced, have more money, and 2 kids who want to race. I am tired of 1 wheel peel on a brand new (less than 1000 miles) Cobra t-loc diff. I could bite the bullet and upgrade again I guess... and go with 5 lugs, c-clip elims, no axles, and a spool. I guess it's only money!!!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Yes, my sig and posted times are correct. In '06 I snapped the factory 28 splines launching on slicks. At the time I was married and could only afford a 31 spline Moser c-clip 4 lug upgrade. Now I am divorced, have more money, and 2 kids who want to race. I am tired of 1 wheel peel on a brand new (less than 1000 miles) Cobra t-loc diff. I could bite the bullet and upgrade again I guess... and go with 5 lugs, c-clip elims, no axles, and a spool. I guess it's only money!!!
Go ahead an upgrade your rear to 5 lug spend the money once if at all possible If you have drums still out back all you need is some 5 lug drums from a ford ranger and the required axles which you will be buying anyway and some new rear wheels and your good to go .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts