Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured i would start a thread of my build...

First is a picture of my ride when the rear axle swap and engine swap started.
Picked up a rear axle with 3.73's already installed so i could swap out my 3.08 gears. Had a friend pack the trac lock in the rear axle for me.

Lastly is my girlfriend helping with the rust removal process.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More of the new axle, and painting. Also picked up an aluminum driveshaft from a friend.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pictures of the process of swapping them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two pictures of what the car looked like when i picked it up. Ran awful, super cold blooded, nasty surging idle. I actually made it all the way home to Central New York, from Philadelphia, Pa.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is an engine out of a 1994 Ford Lightning pickup. Paid a little over $500. Running with 132K miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More of the tear-down process.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And some more.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And more yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Painted OEM Ford Grey..
351w swap headers installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some steps forward, even more back.
Had a friend come over to swap out the valve springs, and realized the cylinders when pressurized leaked out the valves badly! Heads needed a rebuild. So i sold them and got a sweet deal on aftermarkets.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a set of slightly used Procomp 210cc heads.

I do know these are chinese castings, but when in school, having 2 other toys and rent i just cant afford Vic jrs.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some new parts for the swap, and how the under hood looks with the tired 302.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cleaned up the heads some. Chased all the threads. Preparing for ARP head studs. Finally got the car in our basement.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Getting the car in there...

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well thats it for now, currently waiting on the ARP's, a pushrod length checker and an injector o-ring/pintle kit.

·
Registered
563 Posts
What intake are you going to run? Also are you going with the 5 speed trans.? Like the build, good luck with it..

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
What intake are you going to run? Also are you going with the 5 speed trans.? Like the build, good luck with it..
Thanks!
The 351w came with the tubular GT-40 intake, and i actually like the looks of it. So im thinking for now of running it. But in the back of my mind i was thinking of selling the GT-40 and going trick flow. Going to get the 65mm Lightning throttle body to work on my mustang also to replace the stocker.

Also installed a TFS-1 cam in this engine.

I am going to run my T5. But while the engine is out im going to pull it also. When the car is cold it grinds from 2nd to 3rd gear, but fine when warm. So the plan is to refresh it at least, or possibly upgrade. Not sure yet.

I need to get looking for a forged dizzy gear from my EFI dizzy since i changed it to a roller cam and lifters.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Back in 2001 when I first put my 351 combo together I also ran the GT-40 upper and lower and I always lacked the performance that I desired. Please don’t think I am telling you what to do but I think that intake will choke those big heads, I have ran the trick flow and the edelbrock rpm 2 and they both performed very much the same on my street application. I would suggest if you have the money that’s where I would put it. I am also running the trick flow stage 1 cam but I have worked 1970 model iron heads and it is a fun little street combo. Keep the pics coming!

This is the distributor gear that a am now running on my car
Mallory Steel Distributor Gears 29421PD - SummitRacing.com

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Back in 2001 when I first put my 351 combo together I also ran the GT-40 upper and lower and I always lacked the performance that I desired. Please don’t think I am telling you what to do but I think that intake will choke those big heads, I have ran the trick flow and the edelbrock rpm 2 and they both performed very much the same on my street application. I would suggest if you have the money that’s where I would put it. I am also running the trick flow stage 1 cam but I have worked 1970 model iron heads and it is a fun little street combo. Keep the pics coming!

This is the distributor gear that a am now running on my car
Mallory Steel Distributor Gears 29421PD - SummitRacing.com
Hey ill take any advice i can get. Im sure you are right about the intake. I might sell it for a start to a trick flow. Thats what i would get if i went aftermarket. Will my fuel rail work with the truck flow?

I might have found another issue. I got a used 351w dizzy for efi and its real hard to turn. I dont know if i want to put the money into swapping the gear on it. I really think i need another dizzy. But i dont want to spend the cash.. I maean it takes some muscle to turn this dizzy!

1 - 20 of 394 Posts