Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More weight reduction underway:

I will eventually be gutting the doors completely to reduce more weight, i was thinking about even cutting the frame that runs above the glass however i have never seen it done before, any one have pics of this?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pic isnt loading, but yes like the T Top or Vert doors. A guy on reddit mentioned he did this and his doors were too flimsy. i will have to see as i gut them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
gut the door and weld it shut.

the trolls are out....
To be fair you didn't say if it was a street car or an all-out track machine.

Doors aren't really a big deal, at least not where I would start. That weight is at the center, and helps offset the forward bias of the car. Aggressively removing weight in the cabin is pushing CG forward, if it does anything. I would keep all the structural metal you can unless a ten point cage is in the future, and gutting the door is also a bad idea without a cage and door bars.

If you're chasing handling gains, pull weight from the front. Hood, fenders, k member, control arms, etc. Most of it isnt isn't free (like taking a grinder to your doors) but it's where you I would start to clean up weight distribution

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be fair you didn't say if it was a street car or an all-out track machine.

Doors aren't really a big deal, at least not where I would start. That weight is at the center, and helps offset the forward bias of the car. Aggressively removing weight in the cabin is pushing CG forward, if it does anything. I would keep all the structural metal you can unless a ten point cage is in the future, and gutting the door is also a bad idea without a cage and door bars.

If you're chasing handling gains, pull weight from the front. Hood, fenders, k member, control arms, etc. Most of it isnt isn't free (like taking a grinder to your doors) but it's where you I would start to clean up weight distribution

have a cage, car is gutted, battery is in trunk, MM k, MM a arms, MM coilovers everything non essential almost is gone under the hood, i also plan on gutting the hood and remove factory bumper beams.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts