Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
I could have bought headers from Burns Stainless:

Burns Stainless: Find Custom Exhaust, Header Collectors, Race Mufflers

But they could not guarantee that they would fit my car unless I brought my car to them. Add in the fact that the headers would have been over twice as much (over $2k) plus the cost of transport of my car to them, they have the car for 6-8 weeks and then transport back?
Sure they would have been much prettier, but I doubt that there would have been 4-6 HP difference one way or another.
I have a race car...that gets raced, not a show car that is just for looking at.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I don’t understand why you would take issue with a company allowing people to try and save some money.

You’re comparing apples to oranges here. Inspections and fabrication are worlds apart.
Because he's a employee?

They are always far more intelligent, and far more knowledgeable than the employer.

·
Old timer
6,000 Posts
Mark had a saying that I have always remembered: "You get what you pay for, and you pay for what you get.";)
I like this one better. ;)

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Reactions: Defectindesign

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mark O'Neal: "Virtually every customer I have has the same first interest. That is what is the lowest price he can pay. People like myself, Ed and very few others on this board have spent decades learning what we know.....and y'all want that knowledge for free....and you'll take the parts for free as well."

I thought his pet peeve was customers trying to squeeze everything out of him that they could for the least amount possible?
Yet here he is going to bat for a company who skimps on their manufacturing to squeeze every dollar out of their customer.
I mean if you wanna buy parts that come with extra welding wire stuck to them to save a buck by all means go right ahead.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Mark O'Neal: "Virtually every customer I have has the same first interest. That is what is the lowest price he can pay. People like myself, Ed and very few others on this board have spent decades learning what we know.....and y'all want that knowledge for free....and you'll take the parts for free as well."

I thought his pet peeve was customers trying to squeeze everything out of him that they could for the least amount possible?
Yet here he is going to bat for a company who skimps on their manufacturing to squeeze every dollar out of their customer.
I mean if you wanna buy parts that come with extra welding wire stuck to them to save a buck by all means go right ahead.
Ya really gonna die on this mountain, eh?

Reactions: Saleen414

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Interesting, then why did I pay $700 for some poorly welded headers from you? Do you charge more if quality is expected by the customer?
Headers serve a purpose. They are supposed to increase horsepower. They are supposed to be sturdy and not break apart at the welds. They are supposed to be free of leaks. I think of headers the same way I think of women. They both come in all shapes and sizes, however, if you want them to be "pretty", they are going to cost a hell of a lot more money, and one more thing. Do not confuse "pretty" with "quality"...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Headers serve a purpose. They are supposed to increase horsepower. They are supposed to be sturdy and not break apart at the welds. They are supposed to be free of leaks. I think of headers the same way I think of women. They both come in all shapes and sizes, however, if you want them to be "pretty", they are going to cost a hell of a lot more money, and one more thing. Do not confuse "pretty" with "quality"...
Hmmm. My wife happens to be pretty, has a college education, is a great mother, and makes more money than me. that must be a rare thing.

Kind of like finding quality headers at a good price...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what kind of headers do you run on your car?
BBK. They came with the car. The welds inside the tubing closed off each port a 1/4” in some cases so I’m very familiar with lesser quality headers and won’t be buying another set until I have the money to buy the ones I want.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't care how they look. It was the leaking from the poor welds that bothered me.

·
Registered
803 Posts
When I buy suspension parts for my Mustang, I buy from Maximum Motorsports. There are less expensive alternatives, their products are extremely well engineered, and manufactured. I think their prices are quite fair given their level of quality. Welds are gorgeous, as well as the powder coating, I know MM products will hold up to track torture.

I recently bought a set of headers from RCI, they fit the car well, quality was serviceable. I had to weld on the V-bands and have them ceramic coated as they do not offer those options. I think the discussion of quality versus aesthetics is moot, look through the builds on this site, both qualities are highly desired by most car enthusiasts. I can't imagine anyone running a raw steel header on their car, where I live it would be rust covered in weeks.

Jay

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I don't care how they look. It was the leaking from the poor welds that bothered me.
Can you show me a photo where you say the headers were leaking? We have been making headers for more than 35 years and nobody, but I mean nobody, has ever complained about leaks on the headers. I'm not saying it can't happen, but you would be the first. How long have you had the headers? And, if you email me your name, I will see what I can do for you? (our emial is on our website, www.rciheaders.com)

·
Old timer
6,000 Posts
Hey GK -

Please send me a sample of a set of Fox Body long tubes headers for an 8.2 deck block with standard exhaust port location.

A 1-5/8" primary tube is fine for my car.

💗"Love" 💗

Ed

:LOL::ROFLMAO:;)

41 - 60 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.