Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently decided it was time to try and get some control of my engine and try and improve driveability.
Car is a 91 GT. Motor is a very fresh 351- Canfield heads, mid .500 hydraulic roller, etc. intake is a typhoon and I have 30b injectors.
I bought the efi source microsquirt kit. It was literally plug and play and came with a base tune. I removed both o2’s, plugged drivers side header and installed an AEM wideband in pass side.
Opened tuner studio, changed engine and injector size, set required fuel, selected wideband and inputted wideband specs. Fired engine.
It started right up much to my amazement. It smelled rich- adjusted fuel table down some just to get mid 13’s on gauge.
But my question is timing. Tuner studio shows 20 degrees at idle. So I went into ignition settings, selected fixed timing, set it to 12 and started engine. Matched timing to 12 degrees on engine, spout out. Idle sounded great. Saved tune, changed to table settings, replaced spout, and started car.
Idle surged and gauge shows 20 degrees.
So, I went through the same process with spout in. But used the trigger offset to get timing light to match the 20 degrees the gauge shows. Still have some idle surge but better. Car smells pig rich.
What am I missing? It revs great, total timing maxes at 36 when revved.
Yes I’m new obviously at this. I’ve researched and can’t find much. I haven’t driven the car yet until I know I have the timing correct. Then I can autotune to get me closer.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Hard to tell without looking at the tune & a datalog. Sometimes the tune is enough for me. Mine uses the Microsquirt Module which is a larger version mounted in a take-apart box. MSPNPG2 also uses the MM. Microsquirt is the sealed box version.

Don't know what the Base Tune was that came with the EFI Source unit.
It's possible that it came with B&G firmware instead of MSExtra firmware. You want to use the MSExtra. The tune file is an ASCII file & the firmware version is in the 5th line of the msq file.
<versionInfo fileFormat="5.0" firmwareInfo="MS2%2FExtra+3.4.2

Unfortunately, Corral doesn't allow uploading of msq or msl files. No zip files either.

You could also post on the MSExtra forum where the firmware developers "live".
Megasquirt Support Forum (MSEXTRA) ? Index page

Attachments

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Doesn't sound like you're missing anything. Using the trigger angle method is correct. If the timing light agrees with the timing you set in tune studio then your timing control is correct.

Surge is caused by unstable timing, fuel, or air. Start with a fixed timing, and without the IAC enabled. Get your fuel right first. If necessary adjust TB screw for idle speed. After the fuel is right then introduce timing from a table. Don't be surprised if the surge returns. Adjust timing table to correct it. Then you can introduce the IAC enabled if you want. Same story, expect surging until the IAC is dialed in.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts