Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
I ran Nitto DR's on the rear for a couple seasons and did really well with them, but I wouldn't run them on the front (though some people do), and I don't know about MT's and their sidewall rigidity or lack thereof.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
The ONLY drag radial i'd run in an autocross environment would be the Nitto's. There's a reason they are the crappiest of the drag radial variety.....sidewall stiffness. The BFG's and MT's i've felt/ran have the sidewall stiffness of a 100,000 mile all season tire. The 555R's are more along the lines of an average dry weather performance tire.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
There was a local guy last year running MT's on all 4 corners in a mid '90's thunderbird. He raved about them, but there wasn't too many of us that put a lot of weight into his reviews. The sidewall stiffness is thier greatest weakness. I ran 1 event in my '95GT convertible with Nitto DR's out back and they were OK. I didn't notice any abnormal roll as compared to a conventional radial.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Why anyone would run such a dedicated drag radial on the FRONT of a car is beyond even my wild and outlandish thoughts and idea's.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Why anyone would run such a dedicated drag radial on the FRONT of a car is beyond even my wild and outlandish thoughts and idea's.
Probably because they had ADJUSTABLE struts to fine tune the grip.

Ha-ha-ha. Sorry I couldn't resist.

--Vince

·
Registered
956 Posts
What size wheel? A short sidewall M/T might be bearable, be ready to understeer though as those tires will very likely outgrip whatever you're running up front.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
the MT DRs are NOTHING like the Nitto DRs when it comes to handling or rain performance

pk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts