Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 5.0 with S trim. I’ve had issues with belt slipping. But recently I had to remove my charger to change the alternator in my car. The new alternator had a thicker bracket than the old one so I grinder it to spec. Installed everything, went for a few rides and everything was good. It’s been a few weeks now, and I went out last night for a couple pulls. The belt walked off the pulley and started shredding.
My pulleys must be out of alignment but look good to a naked eye. What is a good way to check if things are aligned correctly or need adjustment?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dayco-belt-diagnostic-kit-93874/10030803-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=10030803-P&adtype=pla&gclid=CjwKCAjwndvlBRANEiwABrR32FMYayE-YT3t7mq2I0erXL7rH4qRFIuoum7bS6dk3tiLqP-4vMzthBoC5voQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The alternator mount is to spec of the original one. I grinded it down to match. I can’t use a straight edge. What I did was use a laser which has to joints on the edge which fit in the serpentine grooves. I ran this around the pulley and it appears to align perfectly. I will have to see if something else is out of adjustment. Maybe the charger is a little offset.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts