·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 Cobra NA
stock exhaust manifolds
Magnaflow X Offroad
Magnaflow Catback

After replacing Magnaflow X high flow catted version with Magnaflow X offroad(uncatted) pipe, I have a horrible sound.
The sound is like a metallic tin sound. It is higher pitched. It is like a loose resonator, but that is not the case.

The sound occurs consisently when decelerating from 3000 RPM -> 2500RPM and then stops. I basically sit there and feather the gas above 3k RPM and let it go and the sound occurs. It is most profound directly at the X itself.

I am 100% sure it is not a leak and it is not hitting anything. The pipe has been replaced once and reinstalled 4 times. I even removed the rear o2 sensors in case their casings were making a noise.

It really sounds too loud and metallic to be normal. But I have been told it is normal for new 4.6s with uncatted pipes.
I can repeat the sound at will. The cattedX version did not make this sound.

I almost opted to replace mufflers with Flowmasters, but was told the sound would just get worse.

Overall the system sounds good and I noticed 3500+RPM gains with the O/R, but the metallic sound is killing me to no end.

Anyone have this problem? Is this normal?
Is it all uncatted pipes or just uncatted-X or just Magnaflow uncatted-X?

thank you.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It's normal. I installed a Mac Pro-Chamber last week and thought my engine had started to ping and I was really confused and paranoid. I've been assured by half a dozen peeps that this is very normal for the 4.6's without cats. I think it's actually the valve train echo you're hearing at the X (chamber in my case). After you get used to it, it's kinda cool, makes your car sound wicked ported LOL. Sound travel can be a mystery at times.

Lon

·
Registered
556 Posts
My new Magnaflow X w/cats makes a small tinny sound before the car warms up. Also another thing I noticed is that on deceleration, a weird resonance builds up around 2,500-3,500 rpms. Kinda sounds like a vibration, the same sound my driveshaft makes at 110mph, if that makes any sense. But I can't complain... the x-pipe thing is for real... it really wakes the car up at all speeds. Pulls like a truck. I love it.

Also, will be going to the track Friday night and getting some times. Weather is supposed to be very similar to 2 weeks ago when I ran last. This should help see if the xpipe and catback are worth anything. Not to toot my horn, but I'm pretty consistent so I think the test will be worth something, a little at least.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
That tinny sound is the sound that your X makes. Thats one of the reasons i love my o/r H pipe its nice and deep sounding, no tinny sound (no offense). IMO the catted X's sound great, but im not to impressed with the sounds of the o/r X while cruising and downshifting, but at WOT they do sound very nice and Loud! Dont change your mufflers its still going to sound the same. It is a normal sound of an X pipe.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even though, I still don't believe it, there really is no other explanation. The sound is so metallic, loud and distinct, I wouldn't of lost the bet on whether it was just air rushing in/out vs something physically being wrong.

Bottom line, I hate it. Sounds like crap, totally disgusted. Actually this is the first mod on my 01 Cobra that I think I made a incorrect part selection for. Since it cost $300+ and I couldn't sell it for anywhere near that and a replacement cattedX with would also be $350+ more, I am not sure what I am going to do.

thanks for ther replies

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I know how you feel. Look at my sig. I have the same issue. I thought it was a leak when I had this same X on my 99GT. I pulled the X off about 5 times looking for a leak. There was no leak.

Your right it does sound ****ty. When I get the money, I'm thinking of having a speciality shop install 2 hi-flo cats ....& then some 2 chamber flows. That combo sounds very good.

the offroad makes more power however!!! its a tradeoff...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm glad to see more threads like this one. If anyone is considering any type of off road H/X pipe, I hope they read this. They are not quiet. They are not mellow. They are not smooth. They smell (that is one thing I absolutely love, though, hehehe, yep I'm a psycho).

The stock exhaust sounds great. I loved it. I wanted the 10-15 horsepower the OR H Pipe had to offer and it definitely delivered that. But at the expense of the mellow yet tough sound that the stock exhaust had.

If I had it to do over again, I would have saved up for the catted H Pipe. Lose a few hp, help prevent pollution, and keep the exhaust note somewhat subtle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts