Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the McCully Mk3 TFI Relocation Kit last week. I was impressed with the quality and the instructions. This kit uses a gutted doner TFI module on the distributor and has a 40” extension harness. They will do custom lengths for an additional fee.

There are cheaper options that accomplish the same end result, but I was swayed by the use of the OEM style of connector on the distributor. This leaves only 3 spade connectors in play at the remote TFI module.

http://www.mccullyracingmotors.com/index_files/Page2271.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
I installed the McCully Mk3 TFI Relocation Kit last week. I was impressed with the quality and the instructions. This kit uses a gutted doner TFI module on the distributor and has a 40” extension harness. They will do custom lengths for an additional fee.

There are cheaper options that accomplish the same end result, but I was swayed by the use of the OEM style of connector on the distributor. This leaves only 3 spade connectors in play at the remote TFI module.

McCully Racing Motors- We have exactly what your over-heated TFI Module Needs!
I just ordered the MK3 kit for my 1990 fox earlier this week. I agree, not the cheapest route but I like the setup at the distributor. A quality setup for sure.

·
Registered
532 Posts

McCully Racing Motors- We have exactly what your over-heated TFI Module Needs!
What air box is that? I can see just enough if it to be very curious :)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What air box is that? I can see just enough if it to be very curious :)

I sourced the airbox from a March "Ram Air" kit. I found it on eBay, but March still sells them and the rest of the Ram Air kit parts. I opened up the airbox opening to match the fender apron and used a K&N RE-0810 filter I had on hand. I'm not using the March hose or scoop. I was looking for something cleaner than the stock airbox and having more filter surface area than short K&N supplied in most CAI kits.

https://marchperformance.com/accessories/ram-air-kits/ram-air-kit-parts.html

More on the March airbox:
https://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/2483078-march-cai-airbox.html#post18564386

Attachments

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before I relocated my TFI I used a digital laser IR thermometer to measure the distributor mounted TFI and the fender apron after a drive. The fender apron was holding around 90-100*F and the TFI module/distributor were in the 160-180*F range. I felt this was a significant temperature drop and could only help reliability. If you mounted it on the opposite side of the apron I'm sure you would see another drop in temperature, but you would loose servicability. I have seen people mount it in front of the core support, taking advantage of the ambient temperature and ample airflow. McCully mentioned this and said their concern was water intrusion from rain or car washes. They may have a point there...so I went with high and dry at the top of the apron.

I think the important point is to get the TFI module moved to a cooler location with whichever kit and vendor you choose. I wish I had done mine years ago.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have one of the older kits ready to install on my car as well. The car has been sitting for a while and just got back road worthy so I know what I’ll be doing soon.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Relocation Kit Update: I moved the TFI module and heat sink to behind the passenger side headlight. There was ample cable provided to do this, so no modifications to the harness were required.
I removed my 70mm Cobra MAS and have an old school 77mm Pro-M now installed. The TFI heat sink was in the way of the MAS plug, so a move was in order. I’m thinking it may now be in a cooler location, but I haven’t done any temperature measurements.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A bit of spring weather testing in Michigan finds the new heat sink location behind the headlights to be consistently 10*F cooler than the previous location on the fender apron.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine runs at around ambient temp all summer, tucked behind the core support in a similar location. I ended up making my own harness to relocate the TFI by using a 92 Thunderbird engine/ECU harness and gutting it. I also used an old TFI module and gutted it to make my own plug-in connector for the system, so I wouldn't have to cut the Ron Francis harness.

Crude but effective diagram I drew up lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts