Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Maximum Motorsports K member for an LS Swap?

any info would be great. photos as well.

:)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
With the 4.6L K-member the LS motor will drop right in. Use Ford motor mounts. They are almost a direct bolt-in. Minor mods to the mounts.

For fox bodies, MM now has a specific K-member for LS/coyote swaps

·
Registered
327 Posts
AJE k-member for the win....again......then you can buy the AJE trans cross member and your motor and trans will sit at the right angle.......i have used 3 and no problems..

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AJE k-member for the win....again......then you can buy the AJE trans cross member and your motor and trans will sit at the right angle.......i have used 3 and no problems..

I have seen many post about how they fit perfect but some fail with their weak welds .
AJE maybe good for a fun car but not autocross, that's why I ask about Maximum.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have a MM "swap" mod motor k member in my Fox for the LS1/T56 swap.

Header choices using the MM mod motor k member will be limited. If I were to do it over again I would buy a used 5.0 MM k member and build my own motor mounts around off the shelf headers. Alternatively, I would cut the motor mount stands off the MM k member and weld new motor mount stands onto the MM k member that fit around some off the shelf headers. Heddman makes a set of headers that work with the stock k member so I suspect they can also be made to fit the MM k member.

The 4.6L motor mounts and adapter plates set the engine very high in the chassis, you won't be able to get a T56 in at a decent angle relative to the pinion. I built my own motor mounts which dropped the engine about 2" and set it back about 1" from where it was located in the chassis using the 4.6L mounts. I had to run the Holley 302-2 oil pan to do this. I have the steering rack relocated upwards using the .25" offset holes in the MM rack bushing kit in order to minimize bump steer. If bump steer is not an issue with the rack in the center holes of the rack bushings, then I con drop the engine approximately another .150"-.180".

With the motor mounts I built, I measured the LS1 setback of the rear most cylinder head (pass side) relative to the fox radiator support at approximately 19.25". I measured the rear most 5.0 cylinder head (driver side) at about 15.5" from the top of the radiator support. I had to hammer the passenger side firewall behind the head to do this but there was enough room to make the LS1 fit with the 3.75" setback relative to the 5.0. Setting the engine back this far makes the OEM T56 shifter come close to the ebrake handle, but it can all fit with some finesse.

My build thread is here. I have a different username on the other site:
Fox Mustang, LS1/T56, Max Motorsports, IRS, engine relo, custom headers, etc - LS1TECH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts