AFR 165 heads
Edelbrock RPM Performer II Intake
Anderson N41 cam
Full length headers
373 gears out back
24# injectors
75mm ProM MAS calibrated to 24# injectors
70mm Accufab throttle body
I'm getting about 285 RWHP now and want about 425.

I want to add a Vortech supercharger and boost this thing up.
My Anderson N41 cam has a LSA of 110 which is not good for a blower motor.
Since I have a naturally aspirated cam and don't really want to change, I'm thinking of running more boost....say 14 psi.

Will taking this approach hurt my motor or performance? Is it worth doing the cam swap since I'm paying someone to do it? Got to tear frot of the motor down a bit to do SC job but don't need to take off intake and heads like the cam job.

I look forward to your thoughts.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Think u would need bigger injectors.

I would just try what u got now see if u like it. U can always change the cam later.
Hate to say this most likely u will blow the head gasket. Then u can change the cam if u like. No big deal with the supercharger or without with changing the cam.

·
Registered
665 Posts
You can get 425 no problem. How long the block lives is anyone's guess. It is all in the tune and detonation is the main concern. Convert to E85 if you can, that helps with the detonation problem.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
exactly, the tune will dictate durability. i had a stock block 347 with 12# of boost and a 100 shot of nitrous that ran 6.50's (1/8th). i agree also that you need larger injectors, i would say 42's minimum, preferably 60's. but calibrated meters get sketchy above 36's, so your getting into the realm of needing an actual tune, not just parts tuning (MAF's, BTM's, FMU's, etc).

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
mine made 458 on 8.5 pounds. Would have been nine if I turned it to the rev limiter. I did make use of a meth kit though. Timing was at 25 degrees up top.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Mine made 565rwhp on 14 psi with meth injection and no timing. Lasted 3 weeks of pretty hard street driving. Cracked the block and broke the cam in half. My other shortblock lasted 4 yrs with 12psi and no meth. So basically......ticking timebomb. When they go they go

·
Registered
912 Posts
I had 13.6 psi at 6200 rpm 302 TFTW heads f-cam 42lb injectors-(maxed out) lasted 7 years on the street weekends only no slicks. Then it decided to let everything go. block broke crank broke timing chain broke water pump broke pistons broke. This is what happens eventually. The heads didn't get touched.

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
^^^The balancer looks OK lol.....it must have made a mess!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
that is why I took that 13 and half pound pulley off mine as soon as I put it on. The few pulls I made were pretty wild.

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
I have a stock block and pistons
AFR 165 heads
Edelbrock RPM Performer II Intake
Anderson N41 cam
Full length headers
373 gears out back
24# injectors
75mm ProM MAS calibrated to 24# injectors
70mm Accufab throttle body
I'm getting about 285 RWHP now and want about 425.

I want to add a Vortech supercharger and boost this thing up.
My Anderson N41 cam has a LSA of 110 which is not good for a blower motor.
Since I have a naturally aspirated cam and don't really want to change, I'm thinking of running more boost....say 14 psi.

Will taking this approach hurt my motor or performance? Is it worth doing the cam swap since I'm paying someone to do it? Got to tear frot of the motor down a bit to do SC job but don't need to take off intake and heads like the cam job.

I look forward to your thoughts.
what trans are you running?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I had 13.6 psi at 6200 rpm 302 TFTW heads f-cam 42lb injectors-(maxed out) lasted 7 years on the street weekends only no slicks. Then it decided to let everything go. block broke crank broke timing chain broke water pump broke pistons broke. This is what happens eventually. The heads didn't get touched.
What was your first clue that something just wasn't quite right with the way it was runnin'? ;)

ks

·
Registered
750 Posts
50 ounce

zero balanced recip assembly would of been more happy in there.:grin2:

·
Registered
912 Posts
I started hearing detonation. Fuel was good. Ran good. Don't really know what let go first. It was probably a weak Hyper. Piston.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts